GideonTech.com Forums

• November 18, 2018, 01:18:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshoot my LCD?  (Read 964 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Troubleshoot my LCD?
« on: February 16, 2004, 03:38:31 AM »

Like most of us, I soldered up a HD44780 LCD panel many moons ago.  It was a 2x40 so it didn't even fit in some cases, but now I'm ready to use it.

It works, but only somewhat.

If I reset the display, it comes up and runs fine for 10 seconds to 10 minutes.  Then it fails.  It blanks the screen sometimes, but frequently you fet a single line of gibberish overlaid on the test pattern

It works better when the software (CrystalControl) is told I have a slow LCD processor.

I'm guessing cold or loose solder joint somewhere in the hairball of data lines, but if someone would like to tell me which line is likely the source of this problem, or if CrystalControl doesn't work well with these displays, tell me before I break out the soldering iron

endscape

• Senior Modder
Troubleshoot my LCD?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 03:56:16 AM »

It sounds like it could be overheating, but that's just me, and I may be totally off base.  However, I have worked with a couple of lcd's and have had to put heatsinks on the controller to keep them going.

Endscape
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

TMM

• Senior Modder
Troubleshoot my LCD?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 05:30:37 AM »

heatsinks sounds like overkill :)

id say the power is getting spiked or shorted for a little bit. if the display looses power for a second and then gets it back, it will go to the "boot screen" thing, and then your program needs to be reset. check your wires and make sure where ever it getting power is stable and constant
:thumbsup:
1800+ JIUHB @ 2.11ghz 10*211  || 512mb PC3500 || 120gig sata ||

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Troubleshoot my LCD?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 11:45:11 AM »

You could try putting a 1000 microfarad capacitor between the 5 volt line and ground.  Make sure you get the polarity correct.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.