GideonTech.com Forums

• October 25, 2020, 10:58:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping time  (Read 1180 times)

MajikMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hatefulhelp.com
Shopping time
« on: March 30, 2002, 11:55:00 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but I suppose this would be the best place to fit it in.

Well, I've got this bit of an ongoing computer building project. Ongoing in that it's a graduation gift and I'm buying parts on installment so that we don't go big time into debt all at once. I've already gotten the case and power supply (the more I look at and take the lian-li apart, the more I love it), and now its time to do some more shopping.

I'm thinking I will get the dvd-rom (Poineer 16x unless someone has something better to recomend), 3.5 disk drive, maybe a set of rounded cables. Could probably go for mroe, but I really want to hold off on the mobo, processor and RAM until the very last second (cheaper prices, better equiptment). Still somewhat undecided on hard drives (thinking about going with a 100 gig ATA rather than SCSI....two if I can swing the price), so that may wait a while longer. Would rather hold off on the video card until some of the developers start improving their GeForce 4 cards. So....I could get the sound card (still trying to decide if I want the Audigy Platinum or gamer...), maybe monitor, maybe speakers, mouse. Anyone have any recomendations on what is good to buy now, what may drop in price, etc, etc?

Also on the same note, where would be the cheapest places to get these things (aside from checking pricewatch and similar sites...)?

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
Shopping time
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2002, 12:04:00 AM »

hmm, well the sound card and monitor will most likely keep their price the longest, considering there's not much competition and they are only improved like once every year or two....

but good idea to hold off on the cpu/mobo til the LAST second (dude, install it right as you're getting on the plane ;) )

dogstar

• Elite Modder
Shopping time
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 06:36:00 PM »

monitors dont move much on price, and im really fond of lcd ones, or almost any nec product.
for sound card, id say audigy, or the hercules fortissimo II. both seem to be good cards.
i have the lite-on 16x dvd rom and for a first time dvdrom user, i think its great, and not a bad price.
supra: why drive when you can fly?

honda: cause everyone needs a winter beater.

Gforce

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.BlackMaxPC.com
Shopping time
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »

The sound card between Audigy EX and Gamer, it depends on if you want a break out box or not.  I understand the base card is all the same.  I wanted a breakout box mounted internal but wanted it black.  So I ended up with an audigy platnum ex.  It has balck external box, with a little bit of mod work you can mount it internal.  Voids the warranty though.

Richard Kranium

• Senior Modder
Shopping time
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2002, 07:05:00 PM »

I bought a cheapy cdrw for my current machine while I had a "better unit" for the machine Im building. After I ran the cheapy, I wish I would have bought it for the "new"machine as well! Would have saved me 50 bucks

MajikMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hatefulhelp.com
Shopping time
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 07:16:00 PM »

I like the idea of the internal break out box, I'm just not sure if I will ever end up using it or not. I could just paint the panel (or better yet chop up one of the lian li covers).  Just not sure how much use it would get. Have you found yours to be very useful (worth the diff in price)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 34 queries.