GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 11:28:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yet another fan question  (Read 1386 times)

woogie

• Case Mod Weenie
yet another fan question
« on: March 31, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »

Can I use one of those "smart fans" (coolmaster and thermaltake) with built-in sensors as the cpu fan? Is this enough cooling? (I don't overclock). I also thought of using 2 more of this type of fan to replace my front and rear fans. I know it sounds silly but could the built-in sensors sort of "out-think" one another? Also, maybe I could disconnect the top and side fans (very loud) ?Would all or any of these things make it quieter while still providing sufficient cooling?

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
yet another fan question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »

If you look closely on the Volcano7, the fan it has is their smartfan.  I think they first had the smart fan with the volcano7, then they sold it separately.

As far as outhinking, it will depend on where you position the fan's thermistor.  their speed depends on the temps their thermistor picks up.
VisionTek GeForce2 GTS/PRO 32MB DDR (c:215/m:300) w/Chrorb & Tt blue RAM sinks
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
NewQ Platinum PC Audio
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
yet another fan question
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 02:18:00 PM »

in reference to having the smart fans as intake and exhaust, I really would suggest you only do it for exhaust, and not intake...

My logic is that intake fans are usually situated at the bottom of the case AND bring in cool air....this cool air and position will keep the thermistor cool and thus make the fan run slow, where as your exhaust fan is running really fast and it's inefficient to have more exhaust than you have coming in....(in fact, I believe you want more intake than anything, for positive pressure helps keep dust from coming in the small crevices)

woogie

• Case Mod Weenie
yet another fan question
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 02:23:00 PM »

Excellent idea about only exhaust. As for where to put the thermistor, how would I know?

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
yet another fan question
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2002, 02:27:00 PM »

at least on the thermaltake fans - the thermistor's wires are too short to move them anywhere! I don't know about the others...

but if you could extend the thermistor, I think it'd be a good idea to place it towards the top of your case, so it'll detect how hot your case really is and cool that sucka down!

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
yet another fan question
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 02:47:00 PM »

Having it as intake can be a good idea too.  you just have to extend the thermistor's wires and place it where cool air is needed most.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.