GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 07:08:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Watercooling question, heat from pump  (Read 1904 times)

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Watercooling question, heat from pump
« on: February 11, 2004, 03:29:45 PM »

Sorry ahead of time for the long post. I got a new pump and its submersible, I dont have the money for an inline one so dont suggest getting one. I had my watercooling steup running in a small bucket (about 3/4 gallon of water in it) the waterblock was pretty cool when I left it before I went to bed, then in the morning it was pretty warm. I think it was cool for so long because the water was sitting in my room for about 2 weeks and its pretty cold in my room, and that the heat from the pump warmed the water up. I also did NOT have the fan on the radiator running. So I thought of how I could do it without the pump heating up the water. I came up with this but not sure if it will work. For example if you have a big resevior (aka fishtank) and you put a peice of plexiglass in the middle to split the tank into 2 peices. If you put the pump on one side with a tube coming off of where it takes the water in going through a sealed hole in the plexiglass going to the other side of the tank, and having the water from the watercooling setup go back to that side of the tank. That was probably pretty long, annoying, and confusing so I made a diagram.

I've been trying to get this damn thing working for over a month so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And sorry again for the long ass post.

Thank You

a kung-fu mastah

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 06:12:29 PM »

bump?

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 06:14:05 PM »

Dont bump your own posts.  Especally only after 3 hours.  Give it at least a day.

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 10:01:55 PM »

I would use more than just a piece of plexi if you're trying to insulate two sides of a tank.  Seperate the two spaces with a generous air gap, because air is the best insulator.

They just keep dancing

Yaesr

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 10:58:41 PM »

How about putting some insulation inbetween them? Like that insulation stuff you buy at home depot.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 01:12:11 AM »

So is the fan on your radiator running now?
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 01:20:14 AM »

Wait a minute, you only had a 3/4 gallon resivor, and you didn't have a fan on your radiator!?  Cripes man, no wonder the water heated up, and it sure as heck wasn't from the pump.  You might as well not even had the radiator in the first place.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 01:32:31 AM »

er, yeah, unless you have airflow over the radiator, the water is going to heat up no matter what.  I suppose with like a 10,000 gallon tank it would be so minimal that it wouldnt matter, but if you're using something that you can fit in your room, you need airflow of some sort to allow for heat transfer.  You can run a passive system, but you need a lot of surface area in a cold place... like running pipes underground or something.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:03:36 PM »

well im new to watercooling so I wouldnt know, and I didnt have the fan running on the radiator because i had the heatsink off my cpu, turning the comp on without the heatsink wouldnt be very good.  But would the fan on the radiator make that much of a difference? And also would my idea of seperating the water like that work? I still need to make a resevoir out of plexi so before I  start I want to make sure it works. Im going to pick up some more distilled water today after school, Ive got my old heatsink back on so Ill try it with the fan today. the outlet tube slipped out of my bucket a couple times and onto my living room floor.

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 07:25:55 PM »

The most important part in water cooling is the thing that actually cools the water, which is the radiator.  If your radiator is not cold, your water won't be either.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.