GideonTech.com Forums

• November 18, 2018, 02:11:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha (30+ yr old) Reciever w/ bad channel?  (Read 966 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Yamaha (30+ yr old) Reciever w/ bad channel?
« on: February 08, 2004, 08:43:19 AM »

I've got a Yamaha Reciever (don't know model off hand and at work) but basically, it's finky, if you jiggle the volume knob to just the right spot, both channels work, if not, then only one does.. hmm...

this Yamaha is about 30+ years old, my dad had it in Vietnam, when he was stationed in Quin-yon (sp?).

But my wife's reciever (sony, only a couple years old) does the same thing, does anyone have any idea? My guess would be a bad connection, or some contacts somewhere need to be cleaned.

Just thought i'd see if anyone here knew right off  =)

Thanx.

Deamon

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

soundman

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 08:57:57 AM »

my guss would be a bad potentionomiter(sp) to test I would open it up so you can see the contacts that are soldered to the board then meter them if it cut or spikes at those certain spikes I think that is what is at fault, to replace it unsolder it and test it for max and min resistants then go to radio shack and look for a new one.
I have little experence with home audio so beware
Mike

i7dude

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 09:58:38 AM »

it does sound like the volume potentiometers are at fault...althouth, its most likely the case that they have a large build up of oxidation on the contacts.  

there are spray cleaners on the market that can help clean that off with minimal amounts of work...if you can find a tv repair shop, i can guarentee they will have some, otherwise look at electronics parts stores.

the other option is to replace the pots with new ones, be careful tho, because if it is the volume pot, on a stereo receiver, its mostly likely a dual bang pot, meaning there are actually 2 pots controlled by one knob.

dude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.