GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 06:52:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After resetting CMOS, what steps...  (Read 1235 times)

Razorguts

• Senior Modder
After resetting CMOS, what steps...
« on: January 27, 2004, 07:12:41 PM »

hey all,

I was curious what BIOS settings you guys adjust after resetting CMOS when experimenting with different settings for an OC. In other words, when you're trying to find a stable OC, and for whatever reason you hit instability and reset the CMOS, what are the first adjustments you'll make when booting back up into the BIOS before continuing with your OC (say, getting back to windows safely and running prim95 again, or whatever stressing you're doing)?

For example, I'll keep my multi stable while inching up the FSB bit by bit, and eventually, it's unstable. OK, no sweat, just reset the CMOS and back down to the last stable FSB setting before messing with the multi. So after resetting the CMOS, is it necessary to make other adjustments in the BIOS to continue the trial and error?

Much thanks in advance,

Razorguts
Herff College of Engineering

isisfreak

• Elite Modder
    • Kickass Mods
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 09:30:03 PM »

Yeah, because it may become unstable after you alter other settings. So I always go through my BIOS and put all my settings back the way I like them.

Razorguts

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 09:50:25 PM »

damn, seems like this would get painfully tedious... after each unsuccessful OC, having to go through and set all the fine details, like turning my onboard audio off, etc... :(  guess that's all part of it, eh?

Razorguts
Herff College of Engineering

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:07:20 AM »

When you OC, it gets to the point it's so unstable you have to reset the cmos? You should be able to boot up and run some tests to find out if it's stable enough to keep or not.. if it fails these tests you bump it down a notch. I'm guessing your just pushing it until the mobo freaks on you? I'd get some cpu stressing/benchmarking software, bump it up a bit, run it and if it passes, push it further. Don't forget about the voltage as well.. it needs to go up after you kick the cpu up and over a certain point.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

Blooz1

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »

Yeah, I find that voltage is usually the culprit when I get to the "reset CMOS" stage.

I know some people reset to default and go through all kinds of diagnostics, but I usually just go back to the last set of settings that worked and continue on from there.

TMM

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 07:41:39 PM »

if my comp fails to post, its starts with default CPU settings, but when you go into it, its set to what you had, you you just change them to a more stbale thing, save n exit
1800+ JIUHB @ 2.11ghz 10*211  || 512mb PC3500 || 120gig sata ||

Yaesr

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 08:47:52 PM »

My asus mobo as the CPR thingy so if you o'c too much it resets your cpu speed. VERY handy.

TMM

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 01:18:06 AM »

Quote from: Yaesr
My asus mobo as the CPR thingy so if you o'c too much it resets your cpu speed. VERY handy.

yup, i couldn't survive without it
1800+ JIUHB @ 2.11ghz 10*211  || 512mb PC3500 || 120gig sata ||
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 19 queries.