GideonTech.com Forums

• November 14, 2019, 09:47:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Duron Overclocking  (Read 1222 times)

Stinkygeek

• GT Fanatic
[?] Duron Overclocking
« on: January 30, 2004, 07:49:44 AM »

Ok, so I NEED to get into World of Warcraft beta. Problem is, minimum required processor is 800MHz. Well, I use a AMD 750MHz Duron. 50 MHz off  :pissed:   Anyway, I remember reading a how-to somewhere on what bridges to connect to unlock a duron, but for the life of me can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know how or where I can get the info?

BTW, do you think I could even get 50MHz out of it? I realize its unique to the chip, but just take a guess.

Thanks.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 08:47:18 AM »

If your machine has a Duron anywhere near 750MHz I wouldn't even bother signing up.

Stinkygeek

• GT Fanatic
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »

Ok, beta aside. Does anyone know how or where i can find the info to unlock a duron?

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:15:06 AM »

Well, first of all, to successfully unlock a Duron you require a motherboard that is overclocking friendly and will allow you to change the multiplier.  Since you are asking this question in the first place, I would be willing to bet you don't meet this requirement.  Second, if you are trying to spoof your way into the WoW beta using a overclocked system to meet minimum specs, Blizzard is probably going to reject your machine.  Usually, overclocked machines are not even considered for beta testing purposes.  Third, overclocking that Duron will proably only result in a 200MHz boost, and thats only if you know what you are doing, have the proper equipment, and are using a decent cooling solution.

However, if you have everything you need, and willing to accept the very real possiblity of frying your machine, go here:

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/41_1.html

Stinkygeek

• GT Fanatic
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 10:15:11 AM »

Thank you very much  :D

According to Blizzard's WoW beta FAQ, they will accept overclocked machines. Even if I'm understanding this wrong and they reject my application, oh well, I still have Everquest to play....if I don't blow my machine up  :P

YucA

• Elite Modder
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 10:25:06 AM »

just to put my opinion in this.

if you are interested in it, go ahead and read up, good way to learn about it...

But i would not bother OCing your duron.  I had a Duron 800, and OCed it to 1gig.  i hardly felt a difference even gaming, and it would get hot, so i just brought it down.  its truthfully not worth it.  

If you are interested in WoW or any other new game, you can build a new rig with parts from newegg for about 300 bucks.  Thats with an XP1700-1800 cpu, 256ram, case, hdd and all the crap needed for a complete system.... i just built one for a friend for around that price....

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
[?] Duron Overclocking
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 03:28:31 PM »

You could dial the FSB up.  My D750 did 840 quite happily with a bus speed of 112.  You should be able to get even closer to "800 exactly" for better stability and temperatures, if it';s all about the number on the POST screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.