GideonTech.com Forums

• June 20, 2019, 01:36:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Overclocking problem, kind of a big one  (Read 1167 times)

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Overclocking problem, kind of a big one
« on: January 26, 2004, 06:39:14 PM »

I was trying to overclock my 1800 a little more, the stock was about 1.2-1.3 it was up to 1.8 when it was stable. my cpu is athlon xp 18 is(i assume you know that from above), asus a7n8x deluxe, ram is corsair 2700 256, buffalo 3200 512, and an apacer 2100 512. my overclocked settings were about this voltage was factory default (i beleive 1.6), multiplier 12.5x, fsab i beleive was 140. i upped the memory speed a little (100 to 120, that was one increment). and i saved and restarted and it said "system failed memory test" and just sits there. i dont get anything on the screen. im thinking i should reset the CMOS via the "clear cmos" jumper. will that work or should I try a different approach. i think i spelled approach wrong but oh well. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

a kung-fu mastah

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 06:40:48 PM »

resetting the CMOS via reset cmos jumper is the correct thing to do :)

go for it
My sig goes here

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:42:05 PM »

alright thanks, that does reset everything back to the way it came out of the box right, im pretty sure just doubling checking. and any idea why this happened, for a future reference?

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »

it wont reset the BIOS to the original BIOS say you flashed the bios to version 1010 and the default version was 1005, but what it will do is set the default settings of whatever bios you have, flashed or not, which will get rid of a bad overclock, but it wont get rid of a bad bios flash.

so yes, every setting will be back to how it was "out of the box".

And why this happened is you pushed your memory too far, you must have set your memory at higher than it was able to run at, The main problem is that stick of PC2100 you have, it is totally crippling your overclockign ability, since your mothereboard will only run the ram at the speed of the slowest stick, your PC2100 is causing your computer to lock up because it cannot handle the speed bump, although your other sticks will probably be fine with it,

---Upping the FSB will overclock the memory by itself, i think when you changed the memory setting specifically, you OCed it even more, but i could be wrong.
My sig goes here

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 06:58:58 PM »

thanks for the help, ill swap the 2100 with my spare 2700 256, ill still have a gig so ill be happy. thanks again for the help.

TMM

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 08:53:05 PM »

you should get pretty far with PC2100

ive got my 1800+ at 2076mhz (12*173) and the ram only get errors at 175mhz fsb. its good for now, but it can't handle any high FSB.

btw the standard speed for the 1800xp is 1.533ghz

and don't change the internal clock of the ram, it will only give your failure and trouble. upping the FSB will give faster transfer betweent eh NB and the ram, but you should keep the internal speed of the RAM locked to what the standard is, this will be optimal speed.
1800+ JIUHB @ 2.11ghz 10*211  || 512mb PC3500 || 120gig sata ||

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 08:55:44 PM »

dont underestimate how much ram varies in qualities, some sticks will OC nicely (of course all high end ones will, we are talkign basic regular sticks here), some will not even take a few mhz higher. I have a stick of 256 samsung that OCs like a beauty, and a 512MB samsung stick that is totally OC impeding, up it more than 6mhz, and POSTing becomes a thing of the past :P
My sig goes here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.