GideonTech.com Forums

• June 18, 2019, 03:43:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 13 F degree drop!  (Read 3086 times)

mental_wizkid

• Senior Modder
13 F degree drop!
« on: March 28, 2002, 04:50:00 PM »

wow! let me give you a little background info before i relate this little experience i just had. this little discovery occured due to Naomi's search for the perfect cooling scheme :) (maybe someone's already done it before, though)

ok, first, my case has a motherboard tray to secure the mobo to. second, the mobo tray has various sized inset holes in the back. one of the holes happens to be directly behind my cpu. i've noticed before that when i feel the case just behind the cpu, it's always warm. so, i just had the idea "why not put a small 50mm fan there - almost no noise, but still cools the back of the mobo where the cpu is." so, i put a small 50mm fan there (with the side of my case off) and  that by itself cooled my cpu temps from 48C to 41C (that's 118F to 105F !) (both temps measured with the side panel off) isn't that cool! (no pun intended :)) now i just need to put a small 50mm hole in my side panel for the 50mm fan (i won't do any cutting yet, cuz i'm selling my computer in a month or so.) I don't know if your case has room for a fan there, but it definitely helps! (and almost no additional sound either!)

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 04:58:00 PM »

I have seen an article about putting a fan directly behind the area where the proc is located on the mobo, but I haven't yet heard of someone who actually did it, and seen any difference.  Good thing it did make a difference.  Now that you've mentioned it, I'm gonna see if that area on my case is also getting warm.  Nice going!
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

mental_wizkid

• Senior Modder
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 05:02:00 PM »

if you do it, i would cut a hole in the metal that you secure your mobo to. (mine already had a hole there.) that way you're directly cooling the back of the mobo.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 05:06:00 PM »

My case doesn't have a tray, but the panel where the mobo is placed had some holes in it already, so I'll just check if a hole is in a good position, hopefully.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

mental_wizkid

• Senior Modder
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »

also, you obviously wouldn't get as big of a cooling difference if you already get a cpu temp of only 5-10 degrees higher than the room's temp, like what brutal gets.

dogstar

• Elite Modder
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 05:19:00 PM »

ive seen that mod done to a lian li, on pcpowerzone.co.uk if i remember correctly.
pretty slick, maybe ill do it to me antec, which foolishly enough for an expensive case, doesnt have a removable mobo tray :(
supra: why drive when you can fly?

honda: cause everyone needs a winter beater.

Gforce

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.BlackMaxPC.com
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 05:23:00 PM »

Good observation.  

I starting thinking real hard how I can cut a hole, mount a fan etc... Then I ran over, striped the back cover off and felt the back of the mobo tray...  dang aluminum.. running at room temp and acts like a huge heat sink.  Took all that fun away.  

have to find another project...

dogstar

• Elite Modder
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 05:28:00 PM »

lol, yeah, but you could still mod it
just imagine, a biohazard grill in the 'wrong' side of your comp....every ones gonna ask what you got in there :D

im doing it! when i strip my system out to paint and put in the blowhole, im gonna do it :)
supra: why drive when you can fly?

honda: cause everyone needs a winter beater.

Gforce

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.BlackMaxPC.com
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2002, 05:31:00 PM »

I will as soon as I can find out where to get a dremelmatic 2000 so I can cut that awesome pattern in it!

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
13 F degree drop!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2002, 06:33:00 PM »

well the "origine" of this mod probably started with some review sites cutting holes there because they would switch out mobo's and it'd be a pain in the ass to have to take off and put on a oversized hsf that need mounting posts...so they cut a hole, which allows access to the posts without havning to remove the mobo from the case :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.