GideonTech.com Forums

• September 18, 2019, 09:20:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting Aluminum  (Read 2966 times)

redhalo

• Case Mod Weenie
Painting Aluminum
« on: August 25, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »

Hey, I'm looking in to one of those spiffy Lian Li case (PC-30 to be exact) and I was wondering, dows paint act any differently on bare aluminum? What I meen is do I need to prime it or should I expect the paint to stick with the standard painting process? Has anyone had experiance painting an aluminum case?

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
Painting Aluminum
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »

Most of the people I know that have Lian-Li cases (all three of them) were thinking of painting their cases as well.

I think one of them did a test on a spare bay cover, and found that he didn't like the result.  BUT...I do know of one that had his case anodized and it looks pretty sweet.  He had it done in a reddish/brownish color.  BUT...it cost him a few bucks.  About 80, I think.

You can try painting your case, but use a spare bay cover first, to see what the result will be.  On a Lian-Li case, the bay covers have the same texture/feel as the rest of the case, so you'll have a good idea what it will look like.
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

redhalo

• Case Mod Weenie
Painting Aluminum
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »

Thanks man for your info...I considered anodizing the case, I've seen such great results online, but my understanding is that anodizing makes the aluminum very hard to work with afterwards. I was wanting to leave some degree of room in case I may want to slice into at a later point. Do you knwo how well it is to work with? Also where would I go to have it anodized?

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
Painting Aluminum
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »

You heard right about the hardness that anodizing does.  My friends bay cover was a b*tch to cut into.  BAY COVER!  Good thing he cut out everything he wanted.  Then again, our Lian-Li PC60's don't need that much modding.  :D

I don't know where you can get your case anodized.  Try asking any aluminum siding business if they know of any places.

But be forewarned.... It's not cheap!
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

redhalo

• Case Mod Weenie
Painting Aluminum
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2001, 04:42:00 PM »

Hmm, well thanks, I'll probably just stick to paint then if I can find something that works good. Yeah it wonk look as cool as anodizing, but hell, it's what everyone else without an aluminum case does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.