GideonTech.com Forums

• July 18, 2019, 02:16:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: getting more watts  (Read 2963 times)

archades

• Case Mod Weenie
getting more watts
« on: December 29, 2003, 10:45:06 PM »

just wondering is there a way for say an aerogate II, the case fan plug, which has a max of 13, to somehow be rigged up to 7 high power fans powerded by molex plugs, but still get the voltage control from the aerogate?

i've heard of using one power source as a switch to enable anohter power source to start but i dunno if its possible to have it like this, cuz the fans would draw way too much current unless they can get power elsewhere

7 vantec tornado's @85cfm each could get quite loud :P

and i also wanna hookup another rheobus to control the lightshow, etc inside and outside the case

and there wouldnt be a way to average out all the fans rpm's somehow?

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
getting more watts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »

theres no way to triple or quadruple the amount of power a rheobus can handle, if you hook up 7 tornados to a measly 13W rheobus, it wont be pretty, and it certainly wont hold up, you need to get equipment that is rated for what you are using it for, find some nice high end rheobuses, you may need more than one

--Sorry i cant be more specific but i dont want to give you wrong answers, i hope skylined or viridus stumble upon this thread, they know this stuff better than anyone i know of and certainly better than me
My sig goes here

archades

• Case Mod Weenie
getting more watts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 11:04:32 PM »

i just want the rheobus as a voltage controller for this fan array, the power will be coming off the molex plugs, i need soemthing like a variable resistor that is controlled byt the rheobus's output power, to lower and higher the power from the molex plugs,

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
getting more watts
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 11:10:21 PM »

i see what you are saying, from what i gather you want to control a chain of tornados on one molex, but somewhere you have to put the rheobus, and no matter where that is on this chain you will have to run the fans through it, whether on 7 different molexes or on one, you still have the current, you need to find a rheobus, rheostat, variable resistor, whatever you want to call it that is rated for the power,

I think there is a fairly simple mathematical formula for figuring this all out, but the bottom line is whatever you are using to control or limit this has to be rated for how much power you are running through it.

If i am not understandign what you are trying to do, sorry about that, its not every day someone has 7 tornados in their case :P, how do you sleep at night?

What you "could" do is get a switch and switch between 12V and 7V, you can get 7V by using the 5V as the ground (red wire) instead of black, and using 12V as the +, this will let you apply 7V to your fan chain when you please, and 12 when you want full power, its much less configurable than a rheobus, but you wont be causing a ton of heat in the process and you can find nice highrated switches compared to your average modders rheobus
My sig goes here

archades

• Case Mod Weenie
getting more watts
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 11:15:09 PM »

i havent bought them yet, gotta get the electronics setup first for this :P, i might just end up mounting a nice phat potentiometer somewhere, but it'll maketh me sad cuz i wanna have an aergate II all nicely done :P

plus i can apply this to make hdd coolers, though the case i want has 4 80mm fans in front of the hdds, which means 4x85cfm minus the excess. i think it'll be the brink of what air cooling could do.

i sleepo with air con, fan, radio, computer case open with loud fans on, my air breathy thingie cpap machine, all blurring, and i sleep throught wars, doesnt affect me at all, plus i use headphones most of the time so i dont hear the computers/other electric devices, i cant sleep if all is quiet, esepcially when the power blacks out and its all hot and quiet ;) - i guess its just habitation, u get use to it like living near a highway

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
getting more watts
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 11:26:18 PM »

--I am pretty sure theres a way of doing this how you want and I think skylined and viridus are subscribed to the electronics section so they should give you an answer, you may wanna shoot them a Private Message, anyways im out for the night good luck with it.

The potentiometer will work fine (i am guessing) if its rated high enough, and you could bring it to the front of your case and mount a knob on it to make it look nice, lots of stores sell various sized knobs for potentiometers or whatever you want to use them on, and a little bit of superglue can go a long way.
My sig goes here

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
getting more watts
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 03:07:25 AM »

:wtf:
I'm really confused, would you please repeat what is it that you want to do?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
getting more watts
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 03:26:14 AM »

I think that in this case, PWM is what you are looking for.  It can handle massive amounts of power with a small variable resistor, using only a few cheap transistors and a pulse generator, instead of several massive and expensive rheostats.  It's 2:30, so I won't make up a schematic now, but tomorrow...
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

archades

• Case Mod Weenie
getting more watts
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 12:56:26 PM »

ok in basic, what i want is a way to use the aerogate's outpuutted 1-12v variating voltage with the dial at the front ;) ( the 13w), but what i want it to do is set the voltage for the molex plugs power, thus getting All of the power from the molex plug, giving enough juice for the fans, basically this will allow me to use the dial to change the speeds for all 7 or so fans, which will be powered by a molex plug.  

i think what it will do though is prolly get eh 13 watt, and then get more wattage through the molex plug, whilst being voltage controlled by the aerogate.

my bro was an electronic engineer student so we're gonna pour over his old text books ;)

if it works somehow i'd be happy to tell the world :D

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
getting more watts
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 02:47:50 PM »

The question is: how do you propose to use the 13 watt output of the aerogate to control the approximately 80 watts of fans that you have?  The only feasable way is through PWM.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.