GideonTech.com Forums

• June 03, 2020, 01:37:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HDD LED Circuit  (Read 5424 times)

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hyjacked.homelinux.com
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2003, 09:48:18 AM »

an idea:

if you have a multimeter, try using it to track down which part isn't letting the voltage through. some meters even have functions on them for testing to make sure that there is a connection from on end to the other.

might save you having to rebuild the entire circuit

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2003, 11:58:42 AM »

Warlok: put the black lead of the multimeter in ground and test with the red lead.

brian728s: If you ever ask something here I'll point you to google, thanks for the advice. :)

hyjacked: that's not the way to test a circuit, you have to test a circuit as if it were working, supplying a voltage to it and trying to find where's the problem.

modnut

• Elite Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2003, 12:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Skylined

brian728s: If you ever ask something here I'll point you to google, thanks for the advice. :)

oh, burned.  

anyway, i think you should just rebuild it, it might be a defective part and you aren't the problem, shoot, you might have shorted out a part of it.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2003, 02:44:42 PM »

modnut: that won't solve the problem, he has to test it.
He can have something wired as it shouldn't be, have a bad soldered joint, have blown up something.
If he has blown up something he'll get it using a multitester and all he's gonna have to do is to replace that part and not the whole circuit.

It's a waste of time and money.

Warlok

• Senior Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2003, 09:38:31 PM »

I agree that testing the circuit is the best way to go. In fact I brought home a good circuit from work today so that is what I am planning on doing. I just wasn't sure if I should use the ground on the circuit or one off of the circuit like the ground from the power supply.

Warlok

• Senior Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2003, 09:35:38 PM »

Okay now I am at a loss. I just tested every connection point (on the components) and everything is showing the same supply voltage even both sides of resistors. Is this normal or is something wrong with this.

I just tested each resistor for their ohm rating to make sure I put the right ones in and everything is okay except the one going from the 12v power supply to pin 1-4 and the diode. that resistor is showing that it is only rated at 540 ohm but when I take it out and test it by itself it shows 10k ohms which is what it is supposed to be. What is going on with that?

Thanks for the help.

Warlok

• Senior Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2003, 10:19:54 PM »

Well I figured it out. I forgot to connect pin 9 to the ground wire, the solder joints were right next to each other and I just missed it. Whoops!

However, I think I fried the IC because I forgot to break a copper connection that went from the 12v all the way around the board and connected back to the ground. To many damn connections to break on that board. Oh well I can get a new IC for only a couple of bucks locally so no big deal at least I found the bad connection.

Shojin Ryori

• Case Mod Weenie
HDD VU meter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »

I have built the circuit listed in the projects section several times but I still can't seem to get it to work.  I know the IC isn't burnt out because I have another one of the same kind and it didn't work as well.  I tried to test the 3914 IC with the pin 4 to 5 test, but it didn't work.  I used a 220uF 35 Volt capacitor.  Could that be the prblm?  I have also tested the circuit with a multimeter and it seems as if it checks out.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 08:33:16 PM »

What do you mean by " tried to test the 3914 IC with the pin 4 to 5 test, but it didn't work."?
You connected pin 4 with pin 5?
As for the capacitor, it's ok, the rated voltage has to be higher than the voltage you're going to use, otherwise it will blow up.

Shojin Ryori

• Case Mod Weenie
HDD LED Circuit
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 08:36:41 PM »

It says on the project page that if connect pin 4 to pin 5 on the circuit, then the leds will turn on from led 10 to led 1, i tried it and it didn't work.  But i did short out pin 5 and 6 and when I did that all of the leds came on.  I don't know why it doesn't work
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 47 queries.