GideonTech.com Forums

• December 03, 2020, 08:20:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU IS STUCK TO HEATSINK!!!!  (Read 1357 times)

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
CPU IS STUCK TO HEATSINK!!!!
« on: December 12, 2003, 08:18:38 PM »

HELP!
i was going to clean the heatsink today because it had a sh*t load of dust inside. I turned off my pc and let it sit for bout an hour. I then tried removing the heatsink, but it wouldnt come off. i used a little bit of force and it came off but iwth the cpu stuck to it. luckily no pins are missing or deforemed. but how would i go about getting it off? its stuck to the heatsink with thermal tape that came with the fan. plz help its a 2.4ghz p4

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:21:06 PM »

how did you take it off? did you undo the clips? when then cpu came out was the lever up?

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 08:22:15 PM »

yes i removed the clips and everything and it didnt come off so i pulled it just a tad an the cpu came with it. juss tell me how to remove it without being forcefull plz!!!

BuSkillS

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 08:24:33 PM »

lol, sounds bad, well how was the cpu attached to the heatsink, with the clip to the mobo and thermal tape?? thermal tape.. never heard of that... how were you able to take the cpu out without undoing the cup monting mechanism??? hopefulyl it will still work.  but im thinking that you can just carefully pull the heatsink off of the cpu.  good thing intel has a heatspreader in the cpu.

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 08:26:06 PM »

yes it was put onto the heatsink via thermal tape that came with heatsink and then clipped down with clips from heatsink

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 08:32:57 PM »

dont worry.. this isnt a lifethreatening problem.

you have two options, you can either heat up or cool down the thermal tape in order to break the seal.  If you want to heat it, try a hairdryer on high, or heatgun if you have one, or just put it back in the system and run some stressing programs.  Alternatively you could put it in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes.

After heating or cooling the processor/heatsink, grasp the processor by the outer rim (not the pins) in one hand and the heatsink in the other and firmly twist.  They should separate.   Then use rubbing alcohol and lint free cloth to clean all the thermal tape residue off the Heatsink and processor.  After cleaning the dust from the heatsink, make sure to reapply either new thermal tape or preferably a thin layer of a thermal paste (read the instructions) before restarting the system.

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 08:34:16 PM »

omg you have saved me. i will try the heat thing because i cant stick it back into the motherboard.

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 08:41:04 PM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
it worked after bout 3min of hair dryer,but suprisingly it stuck real well since the heatsink was almost burning to the touch.

Matty_771

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 09:02:25 PM »

does it work? Or did dsomething else get melted with the tape?

aznhotshot

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 09:46:20 PM »

it works juss turned it on. the only thing that melted was the thermal tape. man that tape is so FU*KING strong
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.