GideonTech.com Forums

• November 25, 2020, 10:35:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting smaller tubing around larger fittings  (Read 728 times)

endscape

• Senior Modder
Fitting smaller tubing around larger fittings
« on: December 08, 2003, 11:27:16 PM »

So, me in my infinite wisdom, bought some 1/2 inch id tubing at home depot becuase it was on sale, and i thought "Hey, it'll stretch."  My soon to be constructed H20 system has 5/8 inch od fittings.

Anyone got any ideas on stretching it?  I've tried a heatgun with extremly limited success.

Thanks,

Endscape
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 11:34:30 PM »

Step one: Go back and get the right tubing.
Step two: Do it right the first time so water doesn't leak and ruin all of your gear.

azmanon

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.occ.edu
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 11:42:08 PM »

ya uhh, thats WATER your playing with, it WILL ruin your entire system if it leaks...
seriously, merlini is right, do watercooling right the FIRST time, most of the time, it would be a LOOONG time til u get another chance at it..

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 01:23:53 AM »

if you stretched it enough the material will change density and will fail and destroy your computer

AMD_Junk13

• Elite Modder
    • Ross Computer Technologies
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 10:07:12 AM »

All of the ppl above are right, get the right tubing for the job. But if your hell bent on using the 1/2 inch the only good way I know to get it to fit is to put the ends in very hot water to soften them then slide them over. If it's good quality tubing it will try shrink as it cools and not split making a very tight seal, don't forget to clamp the lines on the fittings as well.

Warning: If you try this test the WC system for 2 days to make sure there are not leaks before installing other parts. I take no resposablity for any damage that may happen if it should fail in the future.
New specs tba...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 34 queries.