GideonTech.com Forums

• October 21, 2019, 07:58:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 0 C a liquid cooling idea.  (Read 5447 times)

arcsylver

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com\\r_e_hitchcock\\AtomicBlueAqua.html
0 C a liquid cooling idea.
« on: March 18, 2002, 12:43:00 PM »

Does anyone know of any other type of cooling liquid that can withstandtemps below 0 degrees C?

I have had an Idea for a supercooling rig that may or may not work but it all hinges on a cooling fluid that will not freeze to well below the 0 C mark.

The primary coling setup on this is a sealed tank that a double coil of copper or similar tubing comes in at the bottom and spirals around the inside up to the top the extends into the center of the tank and spirals back down to the botom before exitring the tank once again. Inside this tank is something like either refridgerant of some other extremely cold liquid.

The reson for the sealed tank is to help reduce evaporation of the liquid inside the tank.  The liquid inside the tubing must be able to flow at temps well below freezing and also be abl;e to be pumped through the tubing without any safety risk.

Basically a liquid heat exchanger.  No fans required to cool a radiator this way.

Brutal is probably going to tear into this one pretty good but I am looking forward to all your comments.

"Never trust a shop teacher who is missing fingers!"

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 12:51:00 PM »

How about those antifreeze stuff used on cars?
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

arcsylver

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 12:57:00 PM »

Too high of a corrosion risk for the tubing.

I have heard of ferro-fluid used in speakers to cool the voice coils but I honestly don't know what it is exactly. I was also thinking of something like a very thin version of Arctic Silver, I.E. silver particles suspended in some form of liquid would be an interesting coolant.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 12:59:00 PM »

Hmm.  I have seen an ad on a car magazine on liquid audio cooling.  If I remember it right, it had a hot chick wearing the tubes (and only the tubes) with some kind of green liquid flowing through the amp and the speakers.

Fenix_Fiur

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »

This is a total guess, but maybe you could simply use salt water? I seem to remember hearing that salt water freezes at temps below freezing...
suck it trebek.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 01:08:00 PM »

Is salt water a little corrosive too?  I think it can make rust go faster or something.

arcsylver

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2002, 01:08:00 PM »

Well the main concern here is that I don't want a radiator. Trying to make a liquid cooled setup without having to use fans or a radiator. This wil probabky be kept in some sort of insulated enclosure outside the PC.

Basically What I want to rig is something to take the CPU below 0 C fot the purpose of overclocking experiments later on but I need some fluid that won't freeze when things get below 0.

I was thinking of using an old welding gas cylinder as the tank after cutting it open to fit the tubing and connectors and welding it back together.  The hard part is getting a good tight seal on it and still being able to put the fluid in there without the risk of an expansion explosion when the fluid gets heated.

Freon or something along those lines would be great. Liquid Nitrogen would be the perfect solution to the tank but I don't think it would be the best suited as far as expansion is concerned.

dogstar

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2002, 01:13:00 PM »

alcohol.......

seeeee, brut, im not "too into the great white north" or whatever you said.
i still think its a waste, but isopropanol should work well, and its dead cheap.
supra: why drive when you can fly?

honda: cause everyone needs a winter beater.

Fenix_Fiur

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2002, 01:17:00 PM »

On 2002-03-18 13:08, x24 wrote:
Is salt water a little corrosive too?  I think it can make rust go faster or something.

Yeh...I think so. Afterall, I dont think I've ever seen a metal hulled boat that wasnt at least somewhat rusted...Oh well!
suck it trebek.

arcsylver

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2002, 01:25:00 PM »

I thought of alcohol as a possible solution. One drawback though.   BOOM!!!!

Alcohol vapor is highly explosive.

If it could be made to not leak and be completely self contained it would be worth it but otherwise I think it may be a touch too risky to try alcohol.  That and would you want to run alcohol through an electric pump?

Although I had though of using an electric fuel pump as a possible liquid pump. I know there are some pretty pricy ones out there designed for racing that might work and would be safe with the alcohol.

Don't know......keep the ideas flowing guys.  This could be something we might could all use to break an Overclocking record or something.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.