GideonTech.com Forums

• October 14, 2019, 12:52:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade Network cable tester  (Read 5282 times)

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
Homemade Network cable tester
« on: October 21, 2003, 10:22:46 PM »

I was looking on the net today for CAT5 cable testers, the ones that tell u if the wiring is OK, and they are outrageously expensive.

So here's what i was thinking.

I'd need
16 LED's
1 Momentary switch
2 4017 Decade counters

I was thinking that I would wire up 8 led's to each of the 4017 decade counters, outputs 1-8.  Then output 9 into reset.  Wire the momentary switch into the clock on both chips (i think that's what it's called, but it's the pin that adds 1 to the counter every time it gets a 3+ voltage on it).  

The first 4017 is simply wired so that it goes into the + of a led then to the ground on the other side.  The second 4017 is wired in order on pins 1 to 8 of the CAT5 cable, which it outputs a 3v signal on.  Now the other end of the cat 5 is wired up to the + side of the 8 LED's and then to ground.  So if you align the led's in order downwards, the left side will always go in order from 1-8, but the right side will go to whatever pin 1 on one side of the cable is matched up with on side 2, so you can see if you have a miswire or not.

Of course, there will be female rj 45 jacks on the tester, so you just plug the cable in.

Do you guys think this would work?  I'll do it tomorrow if it does.  I could make it easier if i used 1 4017, but i believe they only support 20ma on each pin, so it wouldn't be enough to power 2 led's.

I'll write a guide on this if it does work.

Neema12

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:29:37 PM »

expensive? I have seen them for $10-15US. I purchased 1000ft of cat45e, 10/100/1000, 100 gold plated ends, a network tester, and a good crimper for $50 on sale.

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:36:51 PM »

You try finding me one in canada for under $20.

This whole thing would cost me:
2x4017's = $1.50
16x cheap led's = $2
2 x female cat5 ends = $2
Momentary Switch = $.50
Project Box = $1
Total = $7
Plus about an hour's worth work.

And most of those cheap ones only tell u if there is an error, not where the error is.   This one will give me a wire map exactly where they go.

Neema12

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 10:41:46 PM »

I could find almost any deal of an item that is not rare, such as a cable tester. Also, what is the benfit of knowing where the error is, just clip the end off and make another one?

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 11:18:38 PM »

Well, most generic cable testers will just report "error" and nothing else.  You gotta pay big bucks for ones that do anything else other than straight cables.  Let's say you have a crossover cable, plug it into a generic cable tester, you get an error.  Plug it into my idea, and you get to see that it is a crossover cable.

Another possibility is if you make a cable, get an error, thought you did it right, and go "where did i screw up?" so that you don't make the same mistake twice.

Now back on topic.  Is there any reason my idea won't work?

Apraxhren

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 11:33:24 PM »

Bigred, it should work fine, we used testers similar to your idea before the "expensive" ones. The simple ones were good to tell you if it was properly wired, while the expensive ones usually tested the integrity of the contacts.

I'm guessing you want sometihng that looks like this? where + is leds and == is the button

Code: [Select]

--------------
|  +     +    |
|  +     +    |        
|  +     +    |        
|  +     +    |        
|             |
|     ==      |
|_____________|        

Neema12

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 11:35:07 PM »

The cable tester I have has leds for each channel, or line of 2 color coded pairs. So if there are 8 cables/4 lines inside the connection, and line 3 dosent work, it shows and error of red led, and others turn green. I dont see much use into more than that. im sorry I dont know about your topic, but at least this is a bumparoo.

Apraxhren

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 11:38:44 PM »

Quote from: Neema12
The cable tester I have has leds for each channel, or line of 2 color coded pairs. So if there are 8 cables/4 lines inside the connection, and line 3 dosent work, it shows and error of red led, and others turn green. I dont see much use into more than that. im sorry I dont know about your topic, but at least this is a bumparoo.

quit crapping on peoples threads. Basicly what you just described as a "bumparoo" is spam. Either contribute to the topic, or don't post.

Neema12

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 11:49:32 PM »

What I stated above is a valid point to the subject. Why do I need to spam GT, do I get paid per post, do I win a prize if Im the best, does GT give me 1 f***ing thing back for the posts and threads I make? Do I get fined for posting, are u a f***in admin? I was contrubiting to the idea, and also helping him solve his issue.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 11:50:24 PM »

BiGReD: one of the options for projects at my university was a CAT5 tester. I did the car inmobilizer, it's my new guide on GT.
I tell you what some said about that tester.
Counter
LEDs
555 (to make it automatic)

Go and do it, it's very cheap and easy.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 19 queries.