GideonTech.com Forums

• August 21, 2019, 10:35:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesson learned while cleaning a painted case  (Read 4053 times)

Antacus

• Senior Modder
Lesson learned while cleaning a painted case
« on: August 22, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »

I decided that instead of just painting my case I wanted to strip it, prime it, and start fresh. Like how you do a car (if it's done right).

Late last night I grab my freshly cut case and head to the garage. I think "hmmm, sandpaper". So away I go sanding like a madman. First lesson is "cut the holes AFTER you sand the case." After 10 minuets of sanding away a little ballon appears over my head: Aircraft Stripper!!!

Side note: those of you who never played with this stuff let me tell ya, it is nasty. It will eat through your skin in 5 seconds flat, it eats paint off a car like it is candy. And as an added bonus - it stinks to high hell and back.

So I grab my can of aircraft stripper and head back to the garage, with the door open now. I paint the goop on like I done soo many times on my car. Nothing *ponder*. I reread the directions "15-45minuets" they say. So I head inside to watch some TV and wait. After ST is over I head back out to tuff the fumes, still nothing! The case paint is perfect. Second lesson of the night "PC case paint is TUFF crap."

A hah! My in-line sander! So I crank up the air comprressor, put the ear plugs in and dig out my sander. Well that was a bad idea. The case and sides are too small and won't stay still while I am trying to sand away.

Final lesson of the night "Don't run your air comprressor and tools after 9pm, the neighbors don't seem to like that."

Back out comes the sheets of sand paper and I sit sanding away for another hour. *sigh*

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »

holly crap!  that was a good read... :)

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »

antacus, most cases are "painted" so that the paint doesnt come off easily. need time from a sandblasting place that uses alternate mediums like plastic and walnut shells (im serious) this will leave the metal un-scared and is pretty cheap probably around 20 bucks.

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »

Well, this all happened starting at 8pm last night. I am a "spur of the moment" type of person. I got home and said "time to cut a hole". After the hole was cut I thought "hrmm, maybe I should sand this so I can paint it".  :)

I am thinking about getting the soda blast when I get to that point on my car. It is supposta leave a film that protects against rust for a while.

brutal

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »

lol antacus i am too, i cant stand to see my hole saws in the tool box all clean. and lets not even talk about my dremel. btw check out this site, all kinds of lighting: http://beingseentechnologies.goemerchant2.com/nscgi-bin/BeingSeenTechnologies/index.cgi?Merchant=BeingSeenTechnologies

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »

Buncha lighting there. The car / boat stuff looks cool. Just wonder why they don't have pics of the PC kits, other then the one pic on the home page.

brutal

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2001, 10:53:00 PM »

yea that site is pretty bad but they have some cool things i just wish i had a shop here in AZ to check this stuff out at :(

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »

we've got one of Being Seen's neon kits here, will be up on the block for reviewage in the coming week :)

btw..the owner of BST is a graduate of the same college i went to :) small world eh?

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

f1int7

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2001, 04:22:00 AM »

Wow it is a small world. I went to the same college with you too..  :)

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »

I am still going! After 12-14 years (lost count a while back) I am close to an AS :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.