GideonTech.com Forums

• July 04, 2020, 10:08:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My fans do strange things...  (Read 2423 times)

Neverdone

• GT Fanatic
My fans do strange things...
« on: October 05, 2003, 03:15:19 AM »

I have a P4 rig with an Intel mobo. My fans (4) are LED models. When running, the fans on the front & rear mobo fan headers pulse "brighter" about once every .75 sec. while the blowhole fan's LED's on the topmost fan header run steady. Also the LED's in the fan I swapped into my power supply are very dim when the PC is first turned on but gradually go to full brightness. Everything works fine but this behavior just struck me as odd.

Apraxhren

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 03:18:34 AM »

That sounds like your power supply isn't suplling enough power, taking longer to reach full load, fluctuating voltages. You may want to try a different or new power supply. BTW how many Watts is your current power supply?

Neverdone

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 03:31:53 AM »

What puzzled me was how could two of the fan headders on the mobo give this pulsing effect while the third doesn't. Also plugging a fan directly into the 4 wire PS harness produces steady light with no pulsing as well.

The two fan headers on the mobo that pulse are speed controlled by temp sensors on the mobo. Could this be why they pulse?

Mobo= Intel D850EMVRL
Power supply= Codegen 400 watt

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 03:59:30 AM »

Neverdone: you might be drawing a lot of power from your mobo to feed your fans.
Plug those fans directly to the PSU and leave the RPM sensing on the mobo.

Neverdone

• GT Fanatic
Still there..
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 04:30:27 AM »

The light pulse was there even when I just had my first fan. It's more of a "strobe" type flash in addition to the LED's normal output. Also the #2 fan header dosen't pulse the LED's, only #3 & #4.

Also I'm thinking the P/S fan is on some kind of capacitor circuit to keep any fan electrical noise out of the power supplied to the circuits. But that's just my guess.

TekXoID

• Senior Modder
    • http://TekXoID.vze.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 07:15:59 AM »

Your power supply is fine; your motherboard headers simply are not providing enough output current to power the led fans. Hook them to PSU and tell me if the problem persists.

What brand are they? UNICOM is crap, if you have Galaxy, Antec, or CREair, they are generally reliable fans.

A64 3500 @ 9x290-1.68v // Corsair TCCD @ 580MHz 2.5-3-3-7 // X850XT-PE @ 620/1240

Neverdone

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 01:31:21 PM »

Not to sound like a broken record, but of the 4 fan headers (1 for cpu fan/3 for case fans), only 2 do the "flash" thing. If you've ever seen cop cars with strobes in their headlights, it's like that. Running at full brightness while flashing brighter about once every .75 sec. I might agree with the mobo not providing enough output but it happens even when only 1 fan is connected.
Now I gotta believe an Intel mobo can juice one lil' 'ol fan without hickups.

This "highbeam flash" has occured with both Antec & CRE LED fans.

Maybe I'll nickname my rig "Blinky" :P .

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 02:02:54 PM »

Do you have an extra machine / PSU?? If so check to see if the fans you have Pulse normaly or if it is something coming from the MOBO.

Some of the 1st LED Fans would flash and pulse with the magnets turning the Fan.
Now live in the Twin cities.

Neverdone

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 02:09:49 PM »

It's gotta be something on those two mobo headers. Fan RPM sensing circuitry maybe? No "flashie-flashie" on the P/S leads or the other mobo fan header.

Just call me "Blinky" :lol:

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 02:28:49 PM »

If you doubt about RPM sensing just take away with a lil screw driver the pin from the connector.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 35 queries.