GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2020, 12:21:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: video adapter  (Read 2796 times)

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
video adapter
« on: September 26, 2003, 09:16:58 PM »

my question is is it possible to connect a crt monitor to a svideo connector in a simple way? i don't want to spend a lot of money on componets and build something when i can go out and buy a color lcd monitor and probibly use that. any help would be appreciated.

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
video adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 09:28:47 PM »

Do you mean you want to hook a DVD player or something into a monitor?  It wont be easy, i havent even seen boxes that do that.  If you have a computer for it though, just go get a tv tuner card, you'll get both TV and SVIDEO and COMPOSITE IN.

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
video adapter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 09:35:23 PM »

no, what i want to do is add a second monitor to my comp but my video card will only let mr attach an svideo along w/ the normal vga. i hope that helps some.

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
video adapter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 09:53:03 PM »

Same thing then, you can't really attach another monitor through the svid port.  You could attach a TV.  Even if you could attach a monitor, you resolution would be limited to 800x600 max or lower depending on your video card.

You can probably get a cheap mx440 with dual outputs for under $50 US now, I don't know what you have now but its probably an upgrade for you, as far as i know i haven't seen anything above a mx440 without dual outputs.

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
video adapter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 09:59:08 PM »

s-video output is pretty crappy for use as a second display, unless you are using it for games, movies, and stuff like that, text and smaller things really are terrible on it.
My sig goes here

snow veil

• Elite Modder
video adapter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 10:16:37 PM »

http://www.baber.com/baber/products/cheese_box.htm

That's one of the many boxes that will do it, however they're not cheap.  Last time I checked I think they were starting around 70 bucks or so.

Look around newegg and you'll find a few more probably, but this is a notorious unit simply for it's name and shape.

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
video adapter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 11:10:48 AM »

i was lookin on **** and they had this vga to composite & svideo adapter. would i be able to use that in reverse to get what i want? i know i'll have to get a cable of some sort because the vga connector goes into the computer and i want it the other way around if you understand what i just said.

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
video adapter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 11:11:38 AM »

What did we say about trying to work around the censor?
-GTF Mod

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
video adapter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2003, 09:17:26 PM »

will somebody please answer my last question.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
video adapter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 09:24:43 PM »

I don't think you can plug it in reverse since the VGA-Svideo adapters are plugged in the VGA ports on the computer.  And I believe those adapters only work with the laptops that came with them.  I bought one from someone in the forums (sorry if i forgot your name :D you know who you are) and it doesn't work on normal PC videocards.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.