GideonTech.com Forums

• July 05, 2020, 07:15:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard lights  (Read 2024 times)

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hyjacked.homelinux.com
Keyboard lights
« on: September 24, 2003, 07:15:44 AM »

Hey all,

I'm considing adding some LED's or a ccfl to my keyboard, something similar to the ammo box mod that was on the screen savers.

I have a cordless logitech keyboard, so unless I run another wire, which I dont' want to do, I'm going to have to figure out how to power it by batteries.

Any idea how long a bunch of LED's or even a ccfl would stay lit off batteries? I'm going to install different batteries because the keyboard batteries eat them up fast enough anyways.

I'm thinking a couple AA batteries or even 9volt ones if they'll last longer. As far as AA to C to 9 volt, aside from the volt differences, is there any difference in how long they would last? or does that depend on the volt and current?

[edit1]
would anyone be able to give me a run down on if the led draws this much volt and amps, then this type of batter will last this long.

[edit2]
found this searching google, answers most of my questions
http://science.howstuffworks.com/battery4.htm
any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Tramodeus

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.extrememhz.com
Keyboard lights
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 07:47:23 AM »

I've seen guys light up keyboards with el wire...and unless your keys are clear you're gonna need a lot of leds, or at least a few high power (high voltage) ones.

Dunno man. your call. If I were gonna do it, I think I'd try to rig up a seperate battery and switch for the lighting. As little power as a wireless keyboard draws, I think with the lighting it would suck 'em dry pretty fast.

My vote is for el wire...odds are it will last the longest with batteries, being a capacitive load, and will take the least effort to wire in. Here's kinda what I'm talking about.

Tom

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
Keyboard lights
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 07:59:39 AM »

i got 20 led's in my keyboard. i'm going to be honest though, don't screw with the wireless keyboard. even IF it has the right voltage to runs some ledsfor the main battery, the amount of led's you need will significantly affect your battery life. completely count out a cold cathode there too. i doubt theres much room in the keyboard for anything. those are pretty compact with the wireless circutry, but if you have room for a 9volt that would be your best bet. let us know how it turns out if you give it a shot.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
Keyboard lights
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 08:24:54 AM »

hey

I'll give el some thought, although I've never been much of a fan of it for some reason.

and as far as running the lighting off the keyboard batteries, I'm not gonna try that one.

as far as fitting it in, i haven't looked inside yet, but it's a fairly bulky keyboard(logitech cordless pro) though, so I don't see there being to much trouble in finding a place to put batteries and lights.

as of right now I"m thinking of hooking up some 9 volt batteries in parallel to increase the time before it drains the batteries. looking to see if I can get more than 9 volt though, as it would be nice to have closer to the twelve volt mark.

I can't remember from my electrical course but can you hook batteries up in series with different voltages?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Keyboard lights
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 04:46:01 PM »

Series, yes; parallel, no.  LEDs are very efficient, but you may need a lot to effectively light up the keyboard.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

MindHacker

• Senior Modder
Keyboard lights
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 07:17:06 PM »

I'd go with LEDs and a switch, if you just want to get key outlines it won't take that many... 2C batteriers in series, 8? leds in parrellel.... if you want to read the keys by leds......    And the leds should last weeks, I'd say > a month (unless you have no switch) on 2 c's.
p4 3ghz         <|>  1.8 Duron
1024 of 3200  <|>  768 of 2700
256 9600pro,  <|>  none
80gig            <|>  Tera
X-dell case    <|>  hanging on the wall

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Keyboard lights
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 08:12:39 PM »

If you can, try looking for a replacement inverter for your CCFL that accepts 5v instead of 12v.  I've opened up my EluminX out of curiosity and it's inverter is getting power off the PS/2 cable.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
Keyboard lights
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 08:26:31 PM »

www.allelectronics.com has 5v inverters I've been eyeing for a CC keyboard mod. they're fairly small too.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
Keyboard lights
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 07:01:23 AM »

Code: [Select]

--9v--  
---<      >--1.5v--1.5v---
    --9v--  

is what I was thinking as far as batteries go, if that is even possible, that should give me 12v, plus more than normal mah since the 9v's are parallel.

the 5 volt inverter from the link draws about 500ma give or take depending on who was using it, probably has to do with the size of the ccfl no?
anyways, a 12 volt one takes 5ma according to http://www.sunbeamtech.com which is what I'd probably order.

does this make sense for the numbers since there is a big difference? if it's right wouldn't I be better off running a 12 volt inverter to get the longer life out of the batteries? even if I have to have more to get the voltage up?

[edit]
new idea for battery. Since my keyboard has a big hollow wrist rest, I'm going to put the battery in there. while searching for batteries on the net, I came across one that looked like an rc pack, so I started looking and there's some 12v batteries out there that are pretty small and have a good mah rating. So that's what I'll be using. So now I just have to find me some plexi to make the bottom of my keyboard and wrist rest clear.

Anyone know of any canadian stores I should check out?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.