GideonTech.com Forums

• December 11, 2019, 01:47:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED voltage?  (Read 1211 times)

mr_dove

• Case Mod Weenie
LED voltage?
« on: September 11, 2003, 09:01:34 PM »

I've read the guides on replacing LEDs but none of them discuss the voltage of the LED that you are replacing.  how do you know if your new LED will be of the proper voltage.

This won't always cause problems but it can if the voltage is very low or too high.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
LED voltage?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

on most LED replacing guides, the LEDs used are the most common diffused LEDs.  Of course you want to replace them with a brighter one.  Those superbright LEDs are usually rated higher than typical diffused LEDs.  That's why you can just directly replace them with brighter LEDs.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

orion

• Senior Modder
LED voltage?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 11:32:40 PM »

I was going to suggest slightly complicated way of determining the voltage drop of the LED by lighting it up in a circuit with just the LED, a battery and a resistor all in series and measuring the voltage of the battery, the resistance of the resistor and the current through the circuit.  This way you can determine the voltage drop of the resistor by multiplying the resistance and current and subtract that from the battery's voltage and get the voltage of the LED.  Or you can just switch the multimeter to measure voltage and measure the voltage across the LED when it is lit.  That doesn't even require you to take the LED out of the circuit it is in.

The only problem you'll have if the voltage is too low is it won't be as bright.  Of course, if I just replaced a random LED with a superbright with my luck the superbright would require much higher voltage and so when I put it in it would actually be dimmer than the LED I replaced.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
LED voltage?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 11:00:38 AM »

That depends on the supplied voltage, you have to meassure that with a volt-meter.
Then get a led that is rated to that voltage or lower.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 18 queries.