GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 01:32:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here... Quick questions  (Read 1813 times)

Anm8ed

• Case Mod Weenie
New here... Quick questions
« on: September 10, 2003, 04:37:42 PM »

I'm a newbie modder, or attempting to be modder. I am working on a case and had a question about LEDs and such. Going to change to blue or UV (not sure how bright those are) more then likley. Does it matter what luminece the LED is if I run it off the MB lead? I can i stick in a 2000 LED in place of the default LED?

This is a learning experience for sure. Bought a dremmel, cut first hole in case. Going to buy a soldering gun so I can switch my power switch to a rocker switch. Generic other things. This site has been a blessing and a curse. I love all the reading, but on the other hand...  this stuff can be expensive. Once I get a little soldeing under my belt I might try an LCD.

Don't worry.. I'll read the guide instead of asking how to do it.

Thats all... just a hi a question and a thanks. You guys kick arse.   :D

DurocShark

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.donimages.com
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 04:44:56 PM »

Voltage will be more important than the Luminance since we're talking about such low current levels...

Most commonly available LEDs *should* be fine. I don't know what kind of tolerance they build into mobos, but it must be pretty high considering the wide variations in cases.

Apraxhren

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 04:47:47 PM »

it doesn't matter how bright the LED is only how many volts it draws. You would want to get a 5v led so then the whole transister problem is easier. Also is you use a rocker switch, STSP on-off i presume, you would have to turn it on then off because the power switch uses a momentary switch.

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 04:47:59 PM »

I believe mobo LED headers give off 3.5V and most superbright LEDs are 3.7V, I use these kinds of superbright (4800mcd) LEDs in my case with no issues
My sig goes here

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 01:24:35 AM »

Anm8ed welcome to the forums! :)
What really matters of a led is it's ratings, voltage and amperage, mcd (milicandels) just meassure how bright or dim leds are.

Don't get a soldering gun, get a 15W to 30W "pencil" soldering iron. Sorry but I don't really know if they are called "pencil" in english.

You might also want to get a cheap multitester, but you have to know how to use it, since these cheap multitesters don't have a protection. They are usefull for this little home and modding tasks.

As for the led, search the forum, there are many questions about them that had already been answered.

Enjoy your stay. :)

King Of Shibby!

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 01:30:08 AM »

I've got a 8000mcd blue led running off my mobo headers and its rather bright indeed, mobo headers are 3.5v, which is the same as normal LED's but most of the 5mm superbright ones use 3.7-8v, it really makes little difference

Anm8ed

• Case Mod Weenie
Switch question now...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 02:11:30 PM »

About this rocker switch I bought... I thought I had this figured out. Not I'm not so sure. To much information maybe. The rocker switch has three prongs. Power, Ground, and Componet. This is just a power switch. Do I just hook up the power and ground? This is going to run off the lead from the mobo. Will this automaticly light the small led that in the rocker switch? Not worried about turning it off, as this will probably end up a print server. Didnt want to destroy my regular computer case on a 1st mod attempt.

Thanks for the help

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 05:22:09 PM »

You'll either have to get a momentary rocker switch or turn the switch on and immediately turn it off.  I don't know the specs on the switch, but power and ground are probably the ones you want to connect to your motherboard and componenet and ground are the ones that go to a LED.  Connect these to +5 volts through a resistor and ground.  If you plan on doing hardcore soldering, I suggest the Weller WP25 iron.  The quality of the iron is well worth the $40 investment.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.