GideonTech.com Forums

• February 24, 2020, 09:47:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotary Switches  (Read 3092 times)

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
Rotary Switches
« on: September 09, 2003, 08:27:55 PM »

my qestion is, how exactly does a rotary switch work. I understand the general idea but don't fully understand. what i want to do is design a circuit that allows me to use a rotary switch to go between fans and change the speed of the fan like a rheobus. But to do that i also need to find a way to keep the fans going while the switch is not in that position, but still be able to change the speed of the fan when it is. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Rotary Switches
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 08:39:56 PM »

My guess is that you would need two rotary switches for that.  One to select the fan and one to change its speed.  The fan selecting is the easy part, you just make as many channels as you want to and then have a switch position for every channel.  The fan speed is more difficult.  You could use a rotary encoder and a circuit from here (the third bullet point) to make a 4017 (I think that's the number) decade counter run the fan through a varying number of 4001 diodes to vary its speed.  You could have one output from the up/down detection circuit go straight to the clk input on the 4017 and the other one go to the u/d pin on the 4017 and also to the clk input through a diode.  And you need a pull up or a pull down resistor on the u/d pin as well.  Ah yes, the data sheet for the 4017 is here.  How vapid of me.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
Rotary Switches
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 08:46:30 PM »

Well for the fan speed I'll a pot, but i don't know how to keep the voltage still going to the fan when the rotary is not in that position and still be able to change the speed of the fan using the pot when the switch is in the fan position. Is that confusing?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
Rotary Switches
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 08:54:25 PM »

If you are planning on using one pot to control every fan channel, you'll need some very flash circuitry to pull it off.  Much more complex than the aforementioned solution.  Even if you have a separate pot for each channel, I still think it's more complex than my solution.

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
Rotary Switches
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 09:03:33 PM »

hmmm... maybe you could have one of those remote dials on each fan that would change when you select its circuit and adjust the main rheo. does that sound stupid? i know nothing about making circuitry

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
Rotary Switches
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 09:27:33 PM »

is this the kind of thing you want to end up with?

In this diagram you'd want fan 1 to be running at speed 4 (full speed) and all the other fans to be running at whatever speed you had selected for them previously, correct?

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
Rotary Switches
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 09:32:22 PM »

Right, but the way your diagram looks it looks like your using a rotary, which is not what i want, but yes the idea is correct.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Rotary Switches
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 10:39:08 PM »

Well, that isn't going to be easy.
Are you prepared to do some serious research and think about it?
What I have in mind would only work with preset voltages, it won't be fully variable and the circuit will be really complicated.

I'll just throw some things...
Latches
Transistors
Voltage Regulators

weirdo1491

• GT Fanatic
Rotary Switches
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 10:45:14 PM »

ok the design of the rheobus i want to build is hershttp://www.pimpedoutcases.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=ht_rheobus&file=page_2&s=
I don't know if that helps at all for an idea but i thought i should put it up in case it does play a factor. Again any help from anybody would be appreciated.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
Rotary Switches
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 11:26:01 PM »

You could try a rotary encoder and one of the potentiometer ICs with a LM317.  That may do the trick.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 32 queries.