GideonTech.com Forums

• January 23, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to power an LED  (Read 4333 times)

-snake-

• GT Fanatic
How to power an LED
« on: September 09, 2003, 02:55:25 PM »

How can I power LEDs (like the small ones in front of your case) through a molex connector?

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
How to power an LED
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 03:01:16 PM »

here's a walkthrough:

- read about LEDs, how they work, what leg is what, etc.
- read about the PC power supply, mainly the molex connectors, what wire is what, how many volts, etc.
- compare the voltages in the PSU molex connector and the LED's ratings
- read about limiting resistors (google "LED calc").
- read about LED mods for extra resources to support the idea.
- experiment on a spare PSU (read about powering the PSU without a mobo).
- Try it, sit back and pat yourself in the back for doing such a great job yourself.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

-snake-

• GT Fanatic
How to power an LED
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:38:18 PM »

Thank you for being so helpful, the next time i break my leg i'll become a doctor and fix it myself too!

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
How to power an LED
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:48:46 PM »

I think what x is suggesting is that you take a little initiative.  What you're asking is a question that is answered by hundreds of guides and resources on the internet, and while people here don't mind helping, they aren't your personal project slaves.  If you show that you put some thought or planning into the project and then when you went out to actually do it ran into problems, we'll work super-hard to find a solution for you.  However, if you aren't willing to put in a little work, we aren't willing to put in a lot.

broctannn

• GT Fanatic
How to power an LED
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 03:54:58 PM »

psu molex connecters run at 5v and 12v, you would most likely use the 5v line.  The basic idea is to get the leds you want and find the max voltage for them.  There is a guide somewhere on gt that includes a resister calculater, find the right resister for the differencein voltage you are trying to achieve and hook it up before the long, +, side  of the led, should work great but testing it with a spare psu is allways a good idea

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
How to power an LED
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 03:58:16 PM »

you know, my post isn't as sarcastic as you think it is.  people will answer you about powering LEDs from a molex and the few most probable questions are gonna be answered by the steps i've enumerated, in absolutely correct order of interest.  You don't know that's why you come here and ask.  I come here and help you find most, if not all, the necessary background information needed.

If you don't know how this works, someone will come and give you the direct answer.  if you ask anymore questions about their direct answer, don't bother to look at my first post because, like i said, it was answered there already.

-snake-

• GT Fanatic
How to power an LED
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 05:01:56 PM »

As you probably notice, im not as adept with modding stuff as most of you are, ;)  that is why my question seems noobish, but for me its hard to do I dont really have the resourses or the fundage to try things like this cuz i dont wanna blow up my box by plugging something the wrong way, pluggin a led from my case into a molex you guys must be no problem, so thats why i came here im not lazy im just new
and im sorry if i took x24s post the wrong way  8)

so any help would be appreciated more specifically its the extra led in front of an antec tower, i think it should be 5v right?

phU|CrUM

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.thepixelliberation.com
How to power an LED
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 05:17:12 PM »

The extra led in the front of the case?  Shouldn't that be plugged into your mobo?

-snake-

• GT Fanatic
How to power an LED
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 05:43:50 PM »

Yes there are some that go in the mobo but my case has two extra ones

Read the guidelines!? how will i read the guidelines if i cant read!  :D

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
How to power an LED
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

Quote from: -snake-
As you probably notice, im not as adept with modding stuff as most of you are, ;)  that is why my question seems noobish, but for me its hard to do I dont really have the resourses or the fundage to try things like this cuz i dont wanna blow up my box by plugging something the wrong way, pluggin a led from my case into a molex you guys must be no problem, so thats why i came here im not lazy im just new
and im sorry if i took x24s post the wrong way  8)

so any help would be appreciated more specifically its the extra led in front of an antec tower, i think it should be 5v right?

That's what i'm saying.  Judging from your question, it appears that you don't know much about basic electronics and the molex connector.  That's why i gave you a walkthrough of what you need to know regarding the topic.  I just don't want to give straight out the answer because I know, if you are really interested, that you will ask more questions, such as, why did i have to use this value of resistor?  or why did my LED blow up.  I am not sending you out and google for it.  well, it's like that, but I gave you what you need to read about.  That is the problem with most n00bs and why the forum mainstays hate them.  I'm not saying you are one of them, but just as nearly.  There has been a lot of times this has happened.  So, sorry if it looked harsh, and hopefully you try to understand my post.  Just consider it as a syllabus if you may.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 47 queries.