GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 04:38:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Question on putting on heatsink with artic silver  (Read 1997 times)

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Question on putting on heatsink with artic silver
« on: August 27, 2003, 10:02:37 PM »

First off im not sure if its artic silver, im talking about the epoxy stuff. my situation is i have heatsink for my rAM, and i want it permantly attached, i dont know how to go about it. i know the artic silver is 2 compounds, and i dont know if you put one on the heatsink and then one of the chip and then jsut put em togethor, and even so this would be hard with a ram chip. so some sugestions would be nice.

thank you

a kung-fu mastah

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 11:19:10 PM »

From the Arctic Silver Adhesive Application Instructions:
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is designed to be mixed 1:1, that is equal amounts of Part A and Part B. Varying the ratio of the mix will not significantly affect the curing time, but may affect the strength of the final bond. DO NOT attempt to alter the cure time by altering the ratio. An accurate ratio is essential for a proper cure and full development of physical properties. Mixed in the proper ratios, Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive has a pot life of 3 to 4 minutes at normal room temperatures.
Dispense the proper proportions of resin and curing agent onto a clean plastic or metal sheet. Only use as much as you will be able to mix and apply in approximately three minutes. Stir the two ingredients together thoroughly with the mixing wand. To assure thorough mixing, scrape the mixing sheet as you mix. If you have adhesive left over after the application, do not dispose of the mixture until the reaction is complete and has cooled.

full instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/adhesive_instructions.htm

AMD_Junk13

• Elite Modder
    • Ross Computer Technologies
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 11:24:30 PM »

Thermal epoxy is mixed  together(1/1) then put on in a thin layer on the top of the ram chips and then the HS pressed on. One question why not just use the thermal tape that comes with most of these RAM heatsinks? It works well and can be removed alot easyer if you chose to.
New specs tba...

TemplaraPheonix

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 12:55:59 AM »

I'd use AS epoxy over frag tape anyday. The heat transfer with the epoxy is much higher, as you can apply pressure while it''s curing, so the contact is much better.

As for application, I'd mix a realy small amount (as in enough for one SDRAM chip) in 1:1 and put a dap on the center of the chip. Then use a business card or something to spread it fairly thin. I don't know if you have the Aluma or if your epoxy warns that it can conduct or hold a charge, you should wipe off any you get on or near the pins off with alcohol immediately. If you're unsure about your skills, spend the extra money for the Aluma or some other completely electrically isolated formula. Then put down the sink and press. The best way to do it, is one chip at a time, applying pressure by a light weight after positioning. It can take awhile to get all the sinks on this way, but if you're really trying to OC the %^&* out of your system, this will give you the best cooling.

As for removal, it's a bit of a pain, you need a freezer and some rubbing alcohol. Just leave the RAM, video card, whatever in the freezer for around 30 minutes, then twist. Then you wipe off the excess with the alcohol. Unless you did a really bad application, and have a thick layer of epoxy between the chip and the sink, it should only take a few minutes wiping the chips and around 30 minutes of soaking and rubbing the sinks to remove.

I used some sinks on my Radeon 7000 and had wanted to reuse them and thus followed the removal procedure. They came off within a hour. However, my new card uses BGA RAM and fitting the sinks on was too difficult, so I opted to mod some new ones. I was able to push my Radeon 7000 from a default clock of 183 to over 225 with the sinks. I don't remember what the max beforehand was, so it might not have made a difference, but I was fairly happy with the card for awhile at least.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 09:06:58 AM »

the thermal tape would be alot easier but i dont think i would have enough time to do epoxy to every chip, the heatsink is one big peice for the whole ram card. but maybe i could put like artic silver 3 on all the chips except like 1 or 2 on the ends and put epoxy on those so it doesnt move?

TokMor

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 09:16:48 AM »

Are you wanting to put this on your system RAM or video RAM?

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 11:30:59 AM »

system ram, i had some heatsink and some stuff and i was like hey this would be pretty sweet. ill put up a pic later tonight.

AMD_Junk13

• Elite Modder
    • Ross Computer Technologies
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 11:38:48 AM »

I don't think we are talking about putting on these HS for proformance but for looks. HS on RAM does not help that much if at all. That is why thermal tape is a good way to do it and alot cheaper.
New specs tba...

LaLaLaLaLa

• Case Mod Weenie
  • sticky felt is your friend.
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 05:20:36 PM »

not 56k friendly either sorry bout that.
yea its mainly for looks, i went to URI for a programming thing and the admin of the servers had some parts i got. he had a cooler for his old athlon. it had 2 50mm fans so i took em off and tried to think of a way to use em. and i was like hey this would like pretty kick ass. so i did this. i dont have these on my normal server yet but here they are

looks pretty good, i dont know where to get thermal tape and will it be able to hold those? and also how much is it assuming it can hold that?[/url]
oi. eventually this will be something cool. You know, once I stop being lazy.

I am socially awkward. Have pity.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 07:59:22 PM »

oh and that was me apparently my gf was logged in and i was to lazy to log back in
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.