GideonTech.com Forums

• November 17, 2019, 08:15:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 set of speakers to 4 computers  (Read 3087 times)

bigwinr69

• Case Mod Weenie
1 set of speakers to 4 computers
« on: August 27, 2003, 02:12:22 PM »

Hi ALL!
I would like anyones help please!!
Here is the project I have, 5, 3.5mm stereo jacks and a (GC 35-379)  2 pole 4position Rotary Switch. I think you can see how this would work with 2 or more computers. My question is on the jack there are 3 lugs 1 being the ground. On the switch are 3 inner poles. the first for the left wire on the Main jack the second for the right wire Main on the jack. The third pole is that to the ground lug on the Main jack so when switching to the other jacks they will be grounded too.

To go one step more- Is there a way to add small leds to show computer 1 2 3 4 ? :-?

Im_gumby

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 02:42:19 PM »

Are you just asking about how to add the leds?

bigwinr69

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 02:52:51 PM »

no the leds are just an after though its the wiring of the switch Im not sure of!!

TokMor

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 03:08:37 PM »

could you tell us what you are trying to do? we'd be able to help you with wireing more that way.
How rotary switches work is the ring with the fewer pins matches up with a pin on the ring with more pins, and if you turn it then it bridges a different set of pins. If you had 2 pins on the inner ring and 8 pins on the outer ring and we number them all clockwise for arguments sake. Initially, pin 1 on the inside will connect to pin 1 on the outside, and pin 2 on the inside will connect to pin 5 on the outside. Then you turn the switch one click. Now pin 1 on the inside connects to pin 2 on the outside, and pin 2 on the inside connects to pin 6 on the outside. I hope this helps...

bigwinr69

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 03:42:44 PM »

Ok I found someone who knows !!!!!!
My switch is setup that way BUT there is a Third pin on the inner ring thats the question from the start is pin 3 on the inner ring the ground connecting the ground to the Main jack, then connecting the grounds from the other jacks starting with pin9 on the outer ring?
Hope this helps or am I not saying it right?

I have 4 sets of speakers and running up to 4 computers all close by. I wish to switch 1 set of speakers to use like a data switch box. I have 3.5mm plugs on wires to go from the computers to the jacks using the 4 way switch for 1 set of speakers. That is my idea so far just that #3 pin on on the inner ring has me stumped.

TokMor

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 11:18:21 PM »

if there is a third pin on the inner ring and 9 pins on the outer then it is probably a 3 pole 3 position rotary switch.

bigwinr69

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 05:21:52 AM »

Pin 3 on the inner ring is connected to STARTING with pin 9 means there are Pins 9 10 11 12.
Ok here goes Pin1 on the inner ring is connected to pin 1 on the outer ring and making pin2 on the inner ring connected to pin 5 on the outer ring and pin 3 on the inner ring is connected to pin 9 on the outer ring all this is for position 1. At position 2 it would be pin 1 IR to pin 2 OR/ pin 2 IR to pin 6 OR pin3 IR to pin10 OR/  AT position 3 pin1 IR is connected to pin3 OR/ pin 2 IR to pin 7 OR/ pin3 IR to pin 11 OR / AT position 4 pin 1 IR to pin 3 OR/ pin 2 IR to pin 8 OR and pin 3 IR to pin 12 OR
IR = Inner Ring/ OR= Outter Ring

In position 1 we have 1IR 2IR 3IR to 1OR 5OR 9OR
In Posit.  2 we have 1IR 2IR 3IR to 2OR 6OR 10OR
In posit. 3 we have 1IR 2IR 3IR to 3OR 7OR 11OR
In posit. 4 we have 1IR 2IR 3IR to 4OR 8OR 12OR

So does that make 3IR the ground ???

bigwinr69

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 12:04:20 PM »

Well I did it. I took a chance and it all worked out. Now I can connect up to 4 computers to 1 good set of speakers with  just a turn of the switch. I got no help but Thanks for a GREAT SITE.

TokMor

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 12:30:08 PM »

Well, glad it worked out. I think though that you could just connect the ground directly to each of the computers and just leave IR3 as no connection. Or you could wire the ground direct to each computer AND to the cathode of 4 leds, then hook the anode of each led to pins OR9-OR12 and then IR3 to a resistor then to +5 volts. That will make a different led light up for eack turn of the switch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.