GideonTech.com Forums

• October 17, 2019, 08:37:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD question  (Read 4111 times)

modnut

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 04:04:59 PM »

i ripped my gamegear apart and it is going to take a while for me to figure out where to put it because of it's big board.  i just might find a cheap color lcd sreen like PIYIRIO suggested.  it is a cool idea to have it as another tv though.  it makes my kinda wish i got that tv atachement.

angrycrazymonty

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.cfztech.com
LCD question
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 08:33:51 PM »

The problem with the rant about me being too cheap to get a standard LCD is the fact that the only reason I became intrested in the mod is because I had the gamegear, becasue it was a nice, backlit color LCD that would be cool to put in a computer because of its size, which seemed perfect for mounting on the front of a computer. All of this is a mute point because I dont have it anymore, it was sold with out me knowing. If you have a problem with a question, deal with it, if your so angry you need to take it out, play a game. I mean its not like these forums are for asking questions like mine...

timid1

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 01:28:12 AM »

Quote from: angrycrazymonty
The problem with the rant about me being too cheap to get a standard LCD is the fact that the only reason I became intrested in the mod is because I had the gamegear, becasue it was a nice, backlit color LCD that would be cool to put in a computer because of its size, which seemed perfect for mounting on the front of a computer. All of this is a mute point because I dont have it anymore, it was sold with out me knowing. If you have a problem with a question, deal with it, if your so angry you need to take it out, play a game. I mean its not like these forums are for asking questions like mine...

You don't need to get bent out of shape about it.  If I got angry, I wouldn't take it out on you in public, I'd PM it.  I was simply asking why you don't just purchase one pre-built.  I'm also trying to get you to see that a lot of people think that it's as easy as just plugging it in or soldering a couple wires here and there.  It's really much more involved than most people would think.

We've already established what you need to consider, so scroll up and re-read the posts calmly.  In short, you could probably pull it off.... but it's not worth it.

Time is money.  If it's going to take you 5 or 6 hours to build it, multiply the time it takes you to build it by the amount of money you make per hour at work then add parts (because you know you're going to need solder, shrink tubing, and some wire).  Not cheap, and definitely far from worth it.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
LCD question
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 02:08:01 AM »

Quote from: timid1
Quote from: angrycrazymonty

You don't need to get bent out of shape about it.  If I got angry, I wouldn't take it out on you in public, I'd PM it.  I was simply asking why you don't just purchase one pre-built.  I'm also trying to get you to see that a lot of people think that it's as easy as just plugging it in or soldering a couple wires here and there.  It's really much more involved than most people would think.

We've already established what you need to consider, so scroll up and re-read the posts calmly.  In short, you could probably pull it off.... but it's not worth it.

Time is money.  If it's going to take you 5 or 6 hours to build it, multiply the time it takes you to build it by the amount of money you make per hour at work then add parts (because you know you're going to need solder, shrink tubing, and some wire).  Not cheap, and definitely far from worth it.

This "why build it when you can buy it" opinion is becoming increasingly common in the modding world, and I think that its unfortunate.

Yes, it will cost more in terms of time to make it yourself, but then you made it yourself... anyone can throw money at a project and buy a lot of nifty components, but only a true modder can take something and adapt it through hard work and effort into a masterpiece.  

angrycrazymonty, I applaud you for not going out and buying a matrix orbital or a car LCD, and for thinking like a real modder.. "why buy it when you can build it!"

DurocShark

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.donimages.com
LCD question
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 10:41:46 AM »

I'd actually like to see how that tuner is made... :D

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
LCD question
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2003, 10:51:30 AM »

the gamegear lcd is by no means the kind of quality you'd get out of a bought lcd....but it's free to all of us with game gears, so why not eh?

If I could get my gamegear LCD set up built into the front bezel (not the drive bays, but the bottom part of the bezel) to just show me winamp stuff in full color I'd be more than happy....

angrycrazymonty

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.cfztech.com
LCD question
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 11:45:38 AM »

Thank You BalefireX, I do believe that there is much more satisfaction in a project when you do it yourself. If I still had the game gear, I would see no problem in spending 5-6 hours to get the LCD working, and spend another 8 (lets say) to get it mounted in a case and working. I am not afraid of putting some time into my computer, or my mods. Look at Wingrads Pics, youll see my computer in there, its not the best computer on this website, but it isnt the worst either, I have put a lot of time into it, I ahve put some time into wingrads machine, I have put a lot of time into the Massive Blower Mod, if your a modder, you know that a lot of time is needed to do a quality mod.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2003, 01:15:36 PM »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??!! I WANT A GAME GEAR!! SELL IT TO ME!!! those things are rare and there has never been a handheld console as good as that one... this is why they go for butloads on **** and why they are a much sought after item!!

DurocShark

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.donimages.com
LCD question
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2003, 01:24:23 PM »

Quote from: urgannagru
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??!! I WANT A GAME GEAR!! SELL IT TO ME!!! those things are rare and there has never been a handheld console as good as that one... this is why they go for butloads on **** and why they are a much sought after item!!

Really? I see 'em at the swapmeets all the time for $10...  :roll:

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2003, 01:34:11 PM »

well does someone wnat to help me get a cheap one then?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.