GideonTech.com Forums

• October 14, 2019, 01:37:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: yay 2500+ actually going nicely!!!  (Read 1510 times)

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
yay 2500+ actually going nicely!!!
« on: August 26, 2003, 09:53:15 AM »

i've got my 2500+ barton core Athlon XP up to 3000+!!!

yay for air cooling!  it runs at the high temp of 22 (idle)/26 (load) deg C

when i get some new RAM (narg, arr, clench, hit ram repeated times with hammer) i'll be bumping it up to a 3200+ :D, maybe more...

*ON THE FLY UPDATE - i now have it running faster than the 3200+

128 MHz FSB * 18 Multiplier = 2304 MHz = faster than the barton core 3200+ (2.2 GHz)

all on air cooling!  i love my volcano 9+

/me sighs and eagerly anticipates the 400 MHz ram he wants to order...

*edit - in hindsight: DAMN I SOUND N00BISH!!!

i was just happy, and anyway, it does say post your successes in the cooling and overclocking description...

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 09:59:03 AM »

err, go you.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »

yeah, thanks...   /sarcasm

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 10:29:30 AM »

Hi.  I'm bored, so I think I'm going to explain FSB importance and bandwidth, and basically rain on your parade.

In the simplest terms, you aren't running faster than a 3200+.  You aren't even running as fast as a 3200+.  This is due to the factor that FSB has on performance.

When running the RAM synchronious to the FSB, as you are, the higher the FSB the more bandwidth you get to the RAM.  Faster RAM access = better performance.  This is why a lower multiplier/higher FSB is the Overclocker's holy grail.  This is also why a chip like the 2.4C (12x200) is significantly faster than the 2.4B (18x133) which is faster still than the 2.4A (24x100).

Its impossible to tell exactly what performance rating your chip at 18x128 would merit without running a set of benchmarks, but I doubt that it is much higher than the stock 11x166 of the Barton 2500+.

If you get faster RAM, say, PC3200, and increased your FSB while decreasing your multiplier, you would see much more impressive results even if the total MHz was less than what you are getting now.

Blooz1

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 01:20:18 PM »

Good job explaining that, Bale!

FSB vs. multiplier OC makes a large difference in performance, and is harder to accomplish.

My 8RDA+ system was running at 10.5x215 @1.8V when it started getting hot here. As I run SETI 24/7 on this system, temps were hitting close to 50C, which I didn't like, even with my 800a/Panaflo H1a on full.

I changed to 10.5x200 @ 1.7V for the summer, which dropped the temps significantly. BUT - the drop in performance was VERY noticable!

It feels "average", not "fast"! (Not that's slow now..)

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 01:26:14 PM »

noobish question here...
the lock that's on the athlon xp's is just for the multiplier, right?
so when I increase the fsb, if the multiplier stays the same, i shouldn't need to unlock my xp?

then, the reason the comp couldn't finish booting when I tried it last was cuz I just brought it too damn high ?

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 01:38:50 PM »

Blooz1 - have you tried running it at 11x200 @ 1.7v?  The multiplier increase has less of an effect on heat and voltage needed, and maybe those extra 100MHz will help it feel a bit quicker.

daPyr0x - Yes, many Athlons are multiplier locked (T-bred and Barton cores are not on newer motherboards), but the multiplier can be unlocked.  On P4 chips, the multiplier is locked and cannot be unlocked.  

When you increase the FSB, it does nothing to the multiplier (FSBxMultiplier = processor speed) and if you dont plan on changing your multiplier, then you don't need to unlock your processor.

Your computer didn't finish booting when you increased your FSB for one of many reasons, but the three most common ones are this:
1) You've hit the limit (MHz) for your CPU.  Independant of how you set the multiplier, your processor just can't handle the frequency.  If your limit was say 2GHz, it wouldn't matter if you set it at 200x10 or 100x20, both are the maximum you could go (200x10 would be a lot faster in real world performance though)
2) You've hit the limit for your CPU with the voltage its getting.  This is related to reason 1, but when you increase core voltage (to a certain extent) you increase the processor's ability to deal with high frequencies.  Downside is that increased voltages = increased heat and the more you increase your voltage the more likely you are to fry your chip.  Upside is that a chip that maxes out at 2GHz on stock voltage may max out at 2.2GHz at 1.8v
3) Your RAM isnt fast enough to handle the FSB.  When running Synchronious (no divider) your RAM is at the same speed as your FSB.  This means if you run a 166 FSB your DDR is going 166MHz (or DDR333) this means you need PC2700.  If you want to run a 200FSB then DDR400, etc.  You can overclock your RAM too, and increasing vDIMM (RAM voltage) can help here, although with the same caveats as vCORE (cpu voltage) overclocking.  Thus, you could run 215 FSB (DDR430) with PC3200 (DDR400) and some extra voltage.

I hope that clarified some things for you.. if not, I'll try again!

ice_man

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

Could you find me a guide on unlocking the 2500+ or any of the Barton cores??? i'd like to know alot of  this stuff before i get it. :)
Dominating faces even in the Arctic.

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 02:13:36 PM »

lol, yea, well, sorta
I already knew that I had a locked palo. and that I could unlock it with one of those kits or with the rear window defogging kit (I even found the kit at the local Canadian Tire...)

I believe (though I could be wrong) that I have PC2700 RAM...there's no identifiable markings on it and I bought it OEM so there's no way to be sure that I found...the bios wasn't helpful.

I have the A7V333 with an XP 2000+ but I have no idea what I ended up clocking the fsb to....
for all I know I mighta tried overclocking my pci cards...lol

It got past bios and into the win2k loading screen but nowhere past that, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the lock comin down on me...

Also, at normal speeds I'm getting 38 degrees, and I have run it in excess of 50 without any problems, so I know I do have lots of legroom there...not like running at 50 is something I want to do but I know that I can.....

Digital_Mana

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 02:24:03 PM »

greg on ur board you shouldn't need to unlock it...  (if you still plan on getting the same one anyway)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.