GideonTech.com Forums

• November 17, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: magnetic card reader for power switch?  (Read 7033 times)

timid1

• Elite Modder
magnetic card reader for power switch?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2003, 11:52:03 PM »

Quote from: orion

Actually, it doesn't matter if the data CAN be decrypted, just whether it can be decrypted before it becomes old enough that it is no longer useful.  

One last crack it this, I promise!!!  I was trying to lead the discussion into hardware security, but it seems as though everyone is still stuck on the software aspect.  Honestly, you have to consider that the keys crypto keys have to be stored somewhere.  In short, even if you were able to hide the keys, they WILL be used at one time or another and at that exact moment, your data is in the clear--it will not matter that I don't have the keys!!!  The average person doesn't have the capabilities to carry out such an attack, so such a security device would be ideal for them.   But for the person with resources and the know-how, he can probe the hardware and actually watch data being transferred through the buslines.

Additionally, the keyspace is only so small so a bruteforce attack isn't entirely out of the question.  I could probably script an attack on it quite easily.

** Small edit to add the fact that it doesn't matter that I don't have the keys **

MindHacker

• Senior Modder
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2003, 08:41:33 PM »

Put the info on removable media, carry that with you 24/7, and use it only on an unnetworked, net-free computer in a room that has been swept for cameras....
Just figured I'd draw it back to hardware for ya.
Oh yeah, and don't get jumped.....
p4 3ghz         <|>  1.8 Duron
1024 of 3200  <|>  768 of 2700
256 9600pro,  <|>  none
80gig            <|>  Tera
X-dell case    <|>  hanging on the wall

strongShock

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.strongshock.com
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2003, 04:07:43 AM »

back to zarbon7, are you looking for a "mechanical-key" accessible setup to control access because you can't trust ppl with passwords, but aren't worried about dos floppy having, bios chip toting, jumper shorting, hard drive imaging criminals that don't know key locks well? if so, a key-switch would be simple & cost effective. it kind of makes you wish ATX kept the AT keylock eh?

Mindhacker, *EMERGENCY* you forgot to check for RF transmitters in your keyboard!!!

LOL skylined, prototypes aren't very presentable are they? GJ on your circuit.
]

MindHacker

• Senior Modder
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2003, 06:34:13 AM »

OK, put the comp in a radiowave blocking room (also for transmitters in the monitor/case), and even more, watchout for pickpockets.  I am giving up.
p4 3ghz         <|>  1.8 Duron
1024 of 3200  <|>  768 of 2700
256 9600pro,  <|>  none
80gig            <|>  Tera
X-dell case    <|>  hanging on the wall

zarbon7

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2003, 08:40:23 PM »

ppl @ lan parties that just have to "look" @ my system really really bug me. i am trying to design this with those ppl in mind. no one there is going to be able to hack a card reader (and yes i was hoping to use the magnetic strip on my driver's license). its more or less just a cool looking mod with a few benefits.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 19 queries.