GideonTech.com Forums

• October 25, 2020, 10:50:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ibm deskstar problem  (Read 405 times)

modnut

• Elite Modder
ibm deskstar problem
« on: August 22, 2003, 11:36:20 PM »

i have a 120GB ibm deskstar and i am running windows xp.  xp doesn't recognise it and the bios doen't recognise it either.  everything is connected rightand the jumpers are set correctly.  ibm is not making hdds or supporting them anymore.  hitachi owns the rights to ibms hard drives.  if anyone can find any drivers or anything that would be great. i have looked at almost everywhere i can think of and can't find anything.

timid1

• Elite Modder
ibm deskstar problem
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 01:24:43 AM »

There is no such thing as a driver for a hard drives.  Chances are you need to update your BIOS to make it recognize the larger hard drives.  Go to the manufacturer of your motherboard/system to get the BIOS update.  Then try and see if the hard drive works.

TemplaraPheonix

• Senior Modder
ibm deskstar problem
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 01:27:06 AM »

I had two of these drives. Same config, 120 Gb Desktars. I was running XP, but not off of either of the 120 GBs. I run my OS off of a SCSI main drive 36 GB 15K RPM, and only use the ATAs as file storage. They shouldn't need any drivers, as XP should just autodetect. However...Depending upon your controller, you may need either a new ATA 133 controller or updated drivers for it to recognize a drive that big. I was using a 60 GB deskstar on a Celeron 800 I was fixing at work, and it worked fine, but when I put in one of my 120 Gb drives (to transfer some files to the 60 GB), it didn't recognize. So I put in a spare PCI ATA 133 controller and installed the driver to the controller and used that. Are you using a new P4 or Athalon  system or something older?

modnut

• Elite Modder
ibm deskstar problem
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 03:47:14 PM »

i am using a new atholon xp 2800 with an asus a7n8x.

TemplaraPheonix

• Senior Modder
ibm deskstar problem
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 01:15:43 AM »

The controller should have support for it, and the motherboard shouldn't need an update. Try running it on it's own channel if it doesn't recognize with another device. If you happen to have a PCI ATA controller, I'd also try that. Then double check the jumpers, they are VERY complex, having options to run the drive with 16 heads, 15 heads, 32GB clip, or autospin disable in a variety of modes. I'd try the 15 heads master if the 16 heads master isn't working, it may be a motherboard issue, though I doubt it. Otherwise, it looks like you have a bad drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.