GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 04:36:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD question  (Read 4191 times)

angrycrazymonty

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.cfztech.com
LCD question
« on: August 22, 2003, 11:24:50 PM »

I have an old Sega Game Gear, I want to rip the LCD out of it and make an LCD display for my computer, anyone know if this is possible?

endscape

• Senior Modder
hmmmmm
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 12:03:53 AM »

Well, I remember that there was a TV tuner add-on for the Game Gear, so it might be possible, but even if it was, would you be able to program it?  I guess it could be like a second monitor if you had a TV out card and ran it through a VCR or something, because I think it was just a coax connection to the gamegear

I do have a gamegear in here somewhere, so I may have to experiment.

Endscape
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

angrycrazymonty

• GT Fanatic
LCD question
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 12:09:15 AM »

Id imagine, I was looking around, there are some people trying to do what I want to do, I believe it runs through paralell, i dont know for sure, I have to find out if it will work first, so far I havent found a site saying it will, anyone know of any sites with info on this?

timid1

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 01:22:59 AM »

You're looking for a very general thing, honestly.  You'd have more luck if you looked for the type of controller the LCD uses.  My guess is that it's not going to be parallel--it'll probably be serial.  Find out what kind of controller it is then do a google for that controller.

Endscape is right about being able to program it.  You'd need to write your own specialized program to make it work unless it runs a standard graphics controller.

TemplaraPheonix

• Senior Modder
LCD question
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 01:37:07 AM »

Timid1 is right. Most LCDs are very easy to interface, they use standardized controllers. The monochrome graphical LCDs that size use the T6369C or the SED1330. I don't happen to have a color LCD, so I'd assume you'd need to do some research to find what the controller is. Chances are the interface is simple enough, and if not in a direct serial or parallel configuration, can easily be adapted to a non-VGA or DVI port. Hower, the really annoying stuff is the software. I have a T6369C LCD, and I was able to use it parallel, and USB, but I can only run PowerLCD on it, since very few programs are designed for graphical LCDs. I will probably try to make something for it when I get the chance since I have some programming skills. However, your situation would be even worse since it would be much harder to program in color, let alone a driver that would allow you to do something like extend your desktop.

angrycrazymonty

• GT Fanatic
LCD question
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 09:38:25 PM »

nevermind, when I went to find it to get the controller chip number, i found out my mom sold it, damn it, oh well, thanks for the input

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: hmmmmm
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 09:41:44 PM »

Quote from: endscape
Well, I remember that there was a TV tuner add-on for the Game Gear, so it might be possible, but even if it was, would you be able to program it?  I guess it could be like a second monitor if you had a TV out card and ran it through a VCR or something, because I think it was just a coax connection to the gamegear

I do have a gamegear in here somewhere, so I may have to experiment.

Endscape

yep, it's possible.  here's a sample:

threethirteen.com
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
LCD question
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 09:59:17 PM »

I pulled my game gear apart the other day thinking the exact same thing.

What I know: The Game Gear does not have a seperate LCD controller.  Everything is on the main board so you would have to either build your own controller (which is possible) or find some way to hack the board's controller and solder onto it's pins....I dont know how possible that one would be though...

Also, the backlighting for the gamegear, while terribly efficient, is a flourescent bulb with a bent metal reflector behind it.  This would make it terribly not fun to try and install into anything...

The way the guy on the site there did it, while very possible, seems to me like kinda a cop-out....it's totally not a mod :-(

timid1

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 01:56:30 PM »

I'm having a real hard time believing that people are too cheap to spend $20-$30 for a bare HD44780-based LCD and just wire it up like that.  I've seen probably a good five or six posts in the last two weeks from people asking about non-standard LCDs. Just go out and buy a STANDARD LCD and wire it up.  Not handy with the soldering gun?  Go buy one pre-wired from CrystalFontz or MatrixOrbital.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
LCD question
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 02:06:47 PM »

but those are plain text lcd's, monty obviously is looking for a graphical lcd and the gamegear is in color too. i'd get a cheap 4 inch lcd that ricers here in my area seem to love and hook it up to a tv out. i've seen 4 inch lcds for around $90. allelectronics.com has a psone clamshell for $80.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.