GideonTech.com Forums

• October 21, 2020, 04:44:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worries with installing my Maxtor HD..  (Read 520 times)

prowleri

• GT Fanatic
Worries with installing my Maxtor HD..
« on: August 21, 2003, 07:38:09 AM »

So I got a 40-gig HD, a new but not-so-latest Fireball 3 by Maxtor, for my secondary machine. Which would be more used for school papers, web etc, so I thought I won't need as big or fast HD, and besides my other machine has a 80-gig Seagate Barracuda in it.

But anyways, I can't get the darn thing to install with my Chaintech 7NIF2 board - nor with the other machine either. During the boot, it takes a long time trying to detect the disk, and after marks "Primary Master: MaxtorARES C64K VAM53JaZ" - in BIOS (Award 6.00) it displays all stats as 0. I've tried it as Master with CD as Slave in the same cable, I've tried it as Cable Select without the CD. I've tried it with Maxtor's Blast3 install software from a floppy, it doesn't find it and says "no supported Maxtor HD found, you can purchase Blast3 for other brand HDs blah blah.." :pissed:

So is this a busted disk, or am I just doing something wrong here? Help!

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 07:50:06 AM »

yep, that hdd took a sh*t on itself.  i had a month old maxtor do that to me.  i called maxtor and told them what it does and what it displays in bios.  When the guy heard what the bios said, he told me that it just died.  it was under warranty so a few days later i had a new one...

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 02:59:29 PM »

Time to RMA that thing, cuz it's definitely toasted.

They just keep dancing

ok321letsjam

• Senior Modder
  • Double Agent 1190 reporting for duty.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 03:03:33 PM »

LOL, dead Maxtor, who'da thunk that.

At least you are well within your warranty period.  Depending on where you bought it, you may qualify for DOA and get a new drive in return instead of a refurb drive.  Check out the vendor.  

Here's some advice for when you get your new one working: Back up OFTEN.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz) - Intel P965G Motherboard - 3072MB Adata DDR2-800 RAM -500GB Total Storage - nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256MB - ATi Theater Pro 650 TV Tuner - And all I play is CouterStrike!

DurocShark

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.donimages.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 05:05:58 PM »

Quote from: ok321letsjam
LOL, dead Maxtor, who'da thunk that.

At least you are well within your warranty period.  Depending on where you bought it, you may qualify for DOA and get a new drive in return instead of a refurb drive.  Check out the vendor.  

Here's some advice for when you get your new one working: Back up OFTEN.

Huzzah!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 48 queries.