GideonTech.com Forums

• November 17, 2019, 05:44:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would it help to have a fan *under* my case?  (Read 1158 times)

Lethe

• GT Fanatic
Would it help to have a fan *under* my case?
« on: August 19, 2003, 12:18:20 AM »

At the moment I'm running an Athlon XP2000 in an unairconditioned room with cheap shades covering a glass wall, and I'm hitting 41C (more or less).

Would it help to have a fan (yet another) under my computer? My mahcine is mounted on two large bases, giving it 1.25" of clearance underneath. None of the case's floor space interferes with the MB tray or any of the cards, like so:

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/testcxx113.gif">

In this image (a side view), the red areas are existing fans (two intake 80mm, plus the CPU, NB, and GPU each have a HSF unit). The blue area represents the location of another possible fan - would it help? The case is wide enough to hold anything up to 120mm, though with the MB tray it'd have to be 92mm or under if it were mounted in the case's interior. Should I bother?

My suspicion is that unless the room gets air conditioning, the case / CPU termperature is at a plateau - the ambient air a fan would bring in isn't cool enough to help. It would help even out pressure (4x80mm  / 1x92mm out, 2x 80mm in), it would draw in lower-lying (hopefully cooler) air, and it isn't something you see everyday.

Opinions?

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 12:29:51 AM »

Personally I think it would suck up quite a bit of dust, but who knows.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC

retro_gamer

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 01:12:52 AM »

put an exhaust fan in the back if you have room, if not make a blow hole at the top, you need some air flow going through that case! :)

Lethe

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 10:36:13 AM »

Actually the fans I described were just those shown in the diagram - the case has 2 80mm intake, 1 80mm HD cooler, 3 40mm chipset coolers (HSFs), 60mm CPU HSF (AMD standard), 2 80mm rear exhaust, 1 92mm blowhole, and a dual-fan PSU blowing out the rear (which is strangely the most powerful fan in the machine). I removed the secondary PSU, a 250W AT that was powering some fans and lights. By rearranging which fans were connected to which molex (and using a newer power cord - no, really!), I managed to run it all off a single 500w PSU. That took the case down to 12 fans from 13.  :D  Still wondered if a case-floor fan would be a good idea - I could always filter it, if dust is an issue.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 11:47:40 AM »

if i remember it right, that "hydraulic" Lian-li had intakes on the bottom.  it kicks in when the case is lifted by the hydraulic feet when the system needs extra cooling.  Your only problem there will be dust.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

donimages

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 11:51:32 AM »

You're worried about 41c?

With my volcano 11, 120mm intake, and 5 80mm blowing out, my 2000 peaks at 43c, idle at 40c.

Granted, it's been over 90deg lately, but still...

And before I added the 120, it was peaking at 62!

kickyourfaceoff

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=johnnyfro
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 01:22:40 PM »

if your worried about dust put a filter on it.  if you use a 120mm you will still have plenty of air flow

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 01:40:15 PM »

I have a fan on trhe bottem of my case.  It doesn't pull in as much dust as you would think it does.  But one thing is for sure, hairs and such make it in a whole lot easier.  

Just make sure you have a grill on it.  That fan wouldn't be happy if something decides to venture in the case.  And I'm sure the rest of the case wouldn't be happy with the fan if to spread little bits of 'something' all over its innards.
Nobody likes you. -Scott

modnut

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 01:51:28 PM »

i ahven't thought about putting a fan on the bottom of my case, but it makes sense.  just put a filter on it will be ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 18 queries.