GideonTech.com Forums

• September 20, 2020, 07:20:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Heatsink and Fan  (Read 1724 times)

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 01:55:57 AM »

right now I got the vantec hsf and an antec lit rear exhaust
just got a new enermax dual-fan psu (old one blew.....heat maybe? =p) and I was hoping that'd help too [edit] oh and I got a stock asus gf4 hsf too...not like it matters a whole lot

without modding, that's all I can really do to the case.  There is a front mount for a fan, but the bezel is bad for that because it blocks anywhere for intake except for a small slot on the bottom....carpet doesn't help that though

ambient temp in here right now is probably 25c....me plus comp in a room without enough ventilation does that.

oh, [edit 2] would the melted-on thermal pad affect this much?  the stock coolermaster hsf I had had a thermal pad and it was really stuck on the core good, I didn't wanna take a knife or anything to it for fear of damaging the core.

HaloEight

• GT Fanatic
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 02:22:47 PM »

I would assume that anything other than bare copper on the vantec HS would be a problem, maybe you could go to the "Heat Sink Lapping" article, it might help you to remove any residue off of the HS.

BTW:
I have 8 80mm fans besides my vantec combo, 4 up front (intake), 1 side (intake), 1 top (exhaust), 2 back (exhaust).

I checked last night and I am at 35-36c after running my comp all day and playing UT2K3 and CS.

Ykarts4u

• Elite Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 02:24:31 PM »

use denatured alcohol and a cotton swab to remove it, then apply AS3.
Rhinoceruses don't play games. They f*cking charge your ass!

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 02:47:33 PM »

Halo: the melted pad is on the cpu not the hsf

ykarts: and I would get this stuff...where?

jestersmod

• Senior Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 02:50:12 PM »

thats like me i just got a xp2600 with stock hsf and it runs steady at 32

HaloEight

• GT Fanatic
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 03:09:18 PM »

sorry daPyrox, I thought it was on the HS. I would be very careful about removing anything off of the cpu itself. I wouldn't even know what to use,where or how to hold it so not to put any uneven pressure on the pins.

Maybe you could use an old mobo, put cpu in socket and remove the plastic with a razor at an angle?

Big_Pun

• GT Fanatic
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 03:24:43 PM »

To get the most accurate load temperature run Prime95 for 10 hours straight. Then check your temperature while it is still running. Prime95 is also a good stability tester.

Ykarts4u

• Elite Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 07:04:13 PM »

daPyr0x- just go to a drug store, or a grocery store and get rubbing alcohol, use a cotton swab, and the stuff should break down, and then you can apply some AS3, and your temps *should* drop quite a bit.
Rhinoceruses don't play games. They f*cking charge your ass!

retro_gamer

• Case Mod Weenie
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 07:45:15 PM »

ok, so i have the stock hsf on my barton 2500+, when i run it at full speed (1.83ghz) i get temps of 53c  :( , so right now im running it at 1.09 ghz to keep the temp down, its about 43c at 1.09, still this is hot for running such a low setting, i have good airflow in my case, 4 case fans total 2 intake 2 exhaust, my mobo stays around 70-80f depending on my room temp, the only thing i could think of is i did buy some AS3 when i bought the barton, but there was a thermal pad on the stock hs so i figured i would run it with that, wrong idea maybe?, thanks for any help that comes along.

daPyr0x

• Senior Modder
New Heatsink and Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2003, 12:44:47 PM »

I just cleaned off the hsf and cpu....reapplied a good amount of nicely spread thermal grease

51 (and will probly rise a bit)
what the f***?

[edit] okay, slightly weird

Asus PC Probe gives me 40C CPU and 30 Mobo
MBM5 gives me 51c CPU and 30 mobo....and 34 HD (PC Probe doesn't give HD temp...)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 3.336 seconds with 34 queries.