GideonTech.com Forums

• September 22, 2019, 07:38:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU waterblock blueprints ?  (Read 1151 times)

[X]BartoN

• Senior Modder
    • http://mod-it.sytes.net
CPU waterblock blueprints ?
« on: August 12, 2003, 04:54:39 AM »

Hello i am wondering if anyone here have made a own waterblock for there CPU ? i am going to make one but i woulld like to know if there is anyone who have a GOOD blueprint that i can look at, i donīt know exactly how i am going to have the water running thru the block.

I was thinking about making small "BUMPS" in the bottom of the path where the water is going to flow.

If anyone here have some tips or know a GOOD way to make a waterblock plz respond.

PS. i am going to use a solid copper block to make the block and it is going to be used on a XP2500+ BARTON on a MSI K7N2-DELTA-ILSR mobo DS.

E-zKiLL

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 10:39:01 PM »

Danger Will Roberson Danger
Man Ill do some Crazy Sh*t  but not that
Man I wouldnt try That. Its going to be Cheeper if you just buy a block  but if you do decide to go for it Good Luck

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 10:45:20 PM »

just so ya know, a few people on the boards have attempted it and been quite successful.

I am no expert, but I do know thekey to a good block is turbulence.
My sig goes here

E-zKiLL

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 11:37:15 PM »

Again good luck, build us a killer block

TemplaraPheonix

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 12:50:28 AM »

I don't have any blueprints, but there are a number of methods I've read about:

The first is to drill a number of perpendicular holes in a solid block of copper, then fill all the exits with metal slugs. Then drill down through the top and use a tap to thread for some hose barbs. This will create a maze-like block.

The second is to use two blocks of copper. You mare the area you want to be clear on one block and drill a pattern of holes in that area that overlap. What's left is a rough bumpy surface. Then you take the other block and solder it on top, or use waterproof epoxy and solder the sides. If you make the channel narrow enough and over the core it will create good turbulence and might actually perform as well as a White Water.

The third is to make the block entirely out of your CPU and Plexiglas. This on-die cooling is very risky, but can get some great results. Basically you make the top of a water block with barbs and glue it around the CPU die with waterproof epoxy.

One thing to mention is that while waking the actual water block is easy, the waterproofing, and  the tapping is very annoying unless you have some way of testing leakage under pressure. I use colored smoke and an aquarium air pump to test this. A high a quality tap thread and the right drill bit makes the hose barbs fairly waterproof from the start. I use 3/8 NPT threads in my cooling system and had to get a 9/16 drill bit to accommodate that. Just a note, I have never made my own block, but I have modified some Innovatek stuff (an HD-O-Matic and ABG res.) to take 1/2" hose barbs as well as a Black Ice Extreme. The reason I prefer the screw-in barbs is because you can change the hose barb size easily, though I pretty much only use 1/2". I currently am using a really crappy maze block, but will be buying a WW soon.

isisfreak

• Elite Modder
    • Kickass Mods
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 03:18:21 PM »

If I ever get into water cooling I'm going to make blocks like this: http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects.asp
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.