GideonTech.com Forums

• July 12, 2020, 11:03:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where can I get 240v from in my case?  (Read 7502 times)

Mortal_Wombat

• Senior Modder
Where can I get 240v from in my case?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 08:24:19 PM »

as lordzuul01 just said, they are used in high end servers so it shouldnt be a problem in a normal computer

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 10:18:43 PM »

I'd be wary of the EM field, but you're welcome to try it out.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

endscape

• Senior Modder
I did something like this....
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 10:34:58 PM »

I shoved three 6inch X 6inch fans that came out of an old ticket printer into my computer.  I just tied another power cable into the back of my machine (I used an old power socket connection off a power supply)  they are pulling massive amounts of air, they sound like a jet engine, but do a good job cooling my box and I haven't had any problems.

Also, I have like 3 dozen more, so I was thinking about building an entire case out of them lol.

Out,

Endscape
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

orion

• Senior Modder
EMF and computers
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 12:12:21 AM »

For all you people who say:

Don't put a magnet near your computer, or, roughly speaking, your liver will catch fire.

Dan (of Dan's Data) has a very informative and fun to read article on magnetic fields and electostatic discharge and how it isn't as horrifying as people say it is...
http://www.dansdata.com/gz009.htm" target="_blank">Unconventional Wisdom

I was thinking about wiring in some 120v AC fans to pull air through my system since they have so much more oomph...  I was going to get an IEC socket and an old power cord, wire them into a box so that I could plug the end of the power cord into my power supply, then plug an IEC cord into my box and this would allow me to work with 120V inside my computer case without voiding my power supply warranty.  That way I can also mod a standard 120V outlet into the back so I can plug my monitor into the back of my computer even without those old style supplies with the switched IEC socket.  I would also wire a relay in series with at least part of the outlet and control it from a molex socket.  That way the outlet will be switched by the power supply.  It'd be cool to push one button and have all my components come on at once.  This would also allow me to have switched and unswitched hot terminal strips (I wouldn't bother switching the common) for 120v inside the case.  Wire a bunch of 120V fans in and you have a ton of airflow with no extra load on the power supply.

LordZuul01

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 03:00:53 AM »

Quote from: viridius
I'd be wary of the EM field, but you're welcome to try it out.

What EM field? The fans are designed in exactly the way that standard PC fans are designed... The difference with AC fasn is that they usually have metal surrounds instead of plastic ones. The magnets are usually shielded and mounted behind the coils. These are usually machine rated fans, and unless they came from a kitchen or some sort of other domestic purpose such as a desk fan etc, their fields are a lot more controlled than a PC fan.

I was checking the EM fields from various devices, and I found a larger EM and a pretty impress RF footprint from an EL Tape inverter than a couple of Compaq 240V AC fans. And for the record, there is a large RF field if you feed low voltages into standard DC brushless fans as well...

:: LZ ::

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2003, 04:19:52 PM »

Incorrect.  Brushless DC motors use a Hall Effect sensor to flip the polarity in the rotor while the stator is a permanent magnet.  In AC motors, the rotor windings get their power from the alternating magnetic field that is produced by the stator windings.  The main point is that the stator windings in an AC motor are designed to transmit enough power (through an EM field) to produce the magnetic field in opposition to the stator field.  It is that EM field that I worry about.

endscape

• Senior Modder
Blah
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2003, 05:43:00 PM »

Well, I had three and now four AC fans in my case, and they're right next to the processor, vid card, and ram, and I haven't had any problems.  Maybe I'm just lucky :D

Endscape
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

pacz

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2003, 06:10:41 PM »

When i had my bath room ac fan in my case there wasnt a problem. it was in the centre. i just ran a power cord in there and turned it on when i felt like it since it wasnt coolin my cpu it didnt ecatly have to be on all the time. i took it away cause of the noise it produced. I wanna change the houseing its in to make it quiter.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2003, 07:26:56 PM »

So it sounds like AC fans are no problem in a computer case (and I'm paranoid).  Does anyone have any 240 volt fans that they're running in their case?

MindHacker

• Senior Modder
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2003, 10:02:55 PM »

In the USA you get 240v at 60hz when teh power enters you house, look in the box. See teh two thick wires? Don't touch!  Im not sure if this is what you need or if you need 240 and a ground.  I recommend finding a transformer somewhere.  Someone who knows something, can you confirm/deny this?
p4 3ghz         <|>  1.8 Duron
1024 of 3200  <|>  768 of 2700
256 9600pro,  <|>  none
80gig            <|>  Tera
X-dell case    <|>  hanging on the wall
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 62 queries.