GideonTech.com Forums

• October 04, 2022, 11:35:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide: Remote Starting your Computer  (Read 24823 times)

Marsupial

Guide: Remote Starting your Computer
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2003, 07:03:04 PM »

Basically any ATX mobo is supposed to be able to be waked up from total power off (well, as long as power runs in it - don<t unplug it from the wall whining it wont wake up)

What we do is simply stealing the 5V from WOL or WOM, we don't even use WOL to power on.

Of course, if you prefer to use the batteries, its just easier.... but then you need to make sure not to power-it off by accidentally pressing the button.

As for battery life, if its supposed to last a year as a chime, I would imagine they think about being chimed 2-3 times a day, just figure how many times you'd use it with a PC, it should give a good approximation of the expected life.

hope that helps.

(NW)Lynx

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.nerdwarz.com
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2003, 02:14:38 PM »

A few posts back someone was describing a problem he had getting the remote to work.  He said the relay made a ding-dong noise but didn't seem to be switching.

I seem to be having the same problem.  When I power the unit through the door chime my relay makes the exact sound (at a lower dB) that the speaker was making.  I don't have the speaker still connected.

It freaked me out at first.  I thought there was another door chime in the house.

If I unhook the chime board and power the relay directly off the batteries it makes the standard click sound and I get tone when I check continuity across the proper post.

Here is my info.

5VDC Relay rated up to 1 AMP
Nominal current is 87 mA.
Radioshack Single Bell Door Chime
Chime powered by 3 C batteries.

Here is my relay if you can follow it.
1```2
-+
---+
------+
---------+
------------+
3~~~4```````5

Basically the coil is powered through 3 and 4.  The default for the relay is connection between 1 and 5.  When powered the connection switches to 2 and 5.

The unit switches the PC on when not attached to the door chime.  When I attach the door chime to the relay I get a bong noise instead of a click.

I did some measurements and this is what I came up with.

By itself relay powered with 3 C batteries draws 437mA and 4.5-5 volts.

Relay attached to speaker wires powered with 3 C batteries draws current and voltage are all over but nowhere near 437mA or 5 volts.

Relay attached to speaker wires powered with WOL - same

Relay attached to speaker wires powered with PSU - same

So I am guessing that the output to the speaker is AC and I need to build or buy a recifier bridge to make it DC...  If this is the case and I am remembering right... 4 diodes make up a bridge..?

Nevermind I just fried the stupid thing.  Dang biscuit fartin doorbell mod!  Oh well guess that is why I was trying it out on an old POS case.

Marsupial

Chime not switching.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2003, 08:42:19 PM »

Ok: you did the proper thing so far.

I need to know if you can change the "sound setting" on your chime.

Basically, instead of leaving the sound to a nice-to-hear chime, or a "ding dong" if you could place it to a single long "DIIIIiiiiiiiing" it would work out.

your approach to it with a rectifier would probably not work, its not AC you have at the output, AC being alternate of positive and negative voltage. What's out to the speaker is a pulsed voltage defining the airwave of the sound.

a rectifier bridge basically direct all current the same direction, either negative or positive, to get a straight positive current at the outside - that's why all the diodes.

Placing a filter would most likely do the trick for you. I am thinking about a RC filter, or something like that.

Hope this helps.

sharpe

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2003, 02:35:33 PM »

Ya know what'd really be cool?  Put a bunch a buttons in one plastic housing to control a buncha heavily used functions.

(NW)Lynx

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2003, 03:03:15 PM »

Ya know what'd really be cool? Put a bunch a buttons in one plastic housing to control a buncha heavily used functions.

Sounds fun. :thumbsup:

You'd have to find a different door chime or some other item that would let you send multiple signals of output to a receiver.  Then figure what the output triggers on the receiver and whether or not you can attach a switch to it.  Then figure out the power requirements.  

Probably the wrong thread to discuss it.

(NW)Lynx

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2003, 06:23:53 PM »

Placing a filter would most likely do the trick for you. I am thinking about a RC filter, or something like that.

How do I go about determining the values / construction for the filter?  

I have a simple variable filter I used for trial and error but I couldn't get the dong from sounding out of the relay.  Also when I test the voltage off the speaker wires when the relay is unattached I get a straight 4.73 volts out off it.  Does this mean anything?

When I attach the relay and use my voltmeter on the speaker wires I get a spike of 1.4v and then .8v and then it jumps around a below .8v.

Let me know if you come up with any other ideas.  I may not be able to figure it out but the challenge is fun...

Mystic Pawn

• Senior Modder
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2003, 06:59:12 PM »

Quote from: DarkRipper
What I need is something that'll remote start my PC from WORK so that when I get home it's all booted up and warm.

;)

Its called kids...
...you know, stuff like that.

anbicion111

• GT Fanatic
help?
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2004, 07:54:34 PM »

my mobo has a 12v wake on lan connector can i use that? or will i fry anything? if someone could email me its anbicion111@yahoo.com. i would really apriciate any suggestions on how to make 12V into 5V. thx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 47 queries.