GideonTech.com Forums

• November 25, 2020, 10:21:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hole saw question?  (Read 1078 times)

spikyhercules

• GT Fanatic
Hole saw question?
« on: July 20, 2003, 08:15:48 AM »

Hope this is OK on this section, My question is I've been searching for hole saws to buy to cut 80mm fan holes in the top of my case but the ones I can find don't mention being able to cut metal so would it be ok to use wood hole saws to cut the holes or would they just break?

THANKS  8)

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
Hole saw question?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 08:30:31 AM »

I have never seen anyone use a hole saw to cut out blow holes.  I believe metal is too thick to cut through with a hole saw.  It will most likely make the edges very jagged and probably bend the metal as well.  The teeth on a hole saw are created to take off a small layer at a time.  You can do this with wood, but not metal.  That's why you see most people cutting their blow holes with either a jigsaw or a dremel.

xilles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.msnusers.com/CompBoxes/
Hole saw question?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 08:37:20 AM »

there made of ceremic tile like material..you could ask some guys at home depot if it could cut threw metak..it most likely will..the hole saws are used to made door knob holes...not metal holes :) but it would work all the same

Cylent_Snyper

• Senior Modder
Hole saw question?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 08:47:08 AM »

i used a cheap hole saw from home depot for my blowhole, and it worked just fine. I however could not use the hole saw for anything else after that.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
Hole saw question?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 08:58:38 AM »

If it doesnt say anything about cutting metal, then it cant do it.  However if your willing to spend a little money, you can get ones that can.  Just ask the guy behind the desk at your local hardware store for one.  Just be sure to use penetrateing oil when you cut, or you will be out a hole saw.

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
Hole saw question?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 12:01:14 PM »

You need to use Bi-Metal hole saws to cut metal. They are pretty cheap and if you goto Home Depot they sell Blu Mol which will work fine.  And btw they are painted white until you use it a few times.

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
Hole saw question?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 05:12:08 PM »

I've used a hole saw to cut blowholes, and it works fine for me.  You just have to make sure that you file down the edges, otherwise you can end up cutting yourself.  Bi-metal hole saws can be procured at any hardware store for around $20

They just keep dancing

Aeryk

• GT Fanatic
Hole saw question?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 08:36:40 AM »

Bi-metal hole saws work pretty well on steel cases, and even better on aluminum cases, You will need to sand/file/dremel the edges of the hole though, they can be quite sharp after just the hole saw.

Aeryk

Lethe

• GT Fanatic
Hole saw question?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 10:48:43 AM »

You need a decent drill to use a bi-metal hole saw on metal. I have a Blu-Mol unit from Home Depot that worked great on the plastic bezel of the machine in my "Diary of a Mod" thread (and in wood), but it wouldn't cut metal at all. My 7.2v cordless drill wasn't up to it. Either go with 18v or better, or use a good corded drill.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
Hole saw question?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 03:35:03 PM »

I've used a regular old hole saw (installing door hardware in metal doors) to go through steel, but i've learned if you use a good cutting oil and run the drill in reverse it makes a cleaner cut and wont kill the saw as fast.  Sounds silly I know but it does work.  It's slow going, but i think you'll be happier with the results.  Take your time and try to use light even pressure on the drill.
Today, the choice is mine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.