GideonTech.com Forums

• July 05, 2020, 07:50:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: water fountian guts  (Read 1374 times)

Ørpheus

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://home.comcast.net/~scottmg/
water fountian guts
« on: July 19, 2003, 02:06:34 AM »

Im looking for any good suggestions. I came across an odd opportunity, and I do not know what to do with it. Today I acquired a refrigerated water fountain, complete with compressor, radiator, fan, and intercooler. I have already gutted the unsuspecting water fountain, and I’m left with a fully functional water-cooling monstrosity. Would it be possible to use this to cool my computer? Aside from the obvious hassle of having a separate unit, would it be possible to pipe cold water into my case and hot water out?

Here are the specs of the unit:
   4.4 amp compressor
   .4 amp fan
   8 oz of Freon
   ¼” tubing for water

It should be able to dissipate at least 800 watts of energy assuming that it is fairly efficient. The intercooler is comprised of cooling coils and ¼” copper tubing encased in Styrofoam. There appears to be about one meter of water-side tubing in the intercooler. There is a thermally-controlled switch that can be adjusted to keep water temperatures between 45 degrees and 58 degrees.

If you would like to see more pictures, look here:
http://home.comcast.net/~scottmg/coolthing.html

Could this be useful? Its ability to disperse heat is amazing, but I haven’t seen many externally water-cooled computers. Is this because the idea isn’t feasible?

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
water fountian guts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 02:45:02 AM »

The reason you don't see all that many external WC solutions is the one you stated in your post: the obvious hassle of having a separate unit.  It can easily be done.  If the interior diameter of the hose is 1/4", there are several waterblocks that I can think of that would work with that size tubing.

They just keep dancing

AMD_Junk13

• Elite Modder
    • Ross Computer Technologies
water fountian guts
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 10:04:38 AM »

You could build it into a desk and just have the tubs coming out to your rig. You could line the inside with sound deadening mats to cut down on the noise these things make. It would stay cool but don't expect to take it to lan parties with out a Pickup truck :-D

As for moving water a good pump and water tank will do the trick.
New specs tba...

Ørpheus

• Case Mod Weenie
water fountian guts
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 11:04:38 AM »

I'm looking around online, and not finding much in the way of the barbed tubing standard... Is there a water-cooling-pipe-emporium.com or something? I'd like to go to something bigger than 1/4" if possible, but i can't find fittings anywhere. Also, what all could be used to deaden the sound? I don't think i want to buy too much of anything, and an enclosure for this thing would have a lot of surface area to sound-proof.

Helix

• Senior Modder
water fountian guts
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 11:19:10 AM »

how would you cut the pipes to put in a waterblock, the freon would just evaporate out. i explored the concept of phase change cooling too, it's not and easy thing to do so good luck...

Ørpheus

• Case Mod Weenie
water fountian guts
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 12:43:03 PM »

helix: you misunderstand. the freon cooling stuff is already set up to cool water for a water fountian. i'm hoping to leave the intercooler (the thing that transfers heat from one fluid to another) just as it is. the intercooler has 2 pipes in it: the freon cooling coils and the tube for the water. i can pour hot water into the water pipe and have cold water come out the other end. the freon system and the water system are separate, but one cools the other.

isisfreak

• Elite Modder
    • Kickass Mods
water fountian guts
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 01:16:57 PM »

It would work but the biggest problem would be finding a place to put it. You would just need a good pump, some water blocks, and some tubing.

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
water fountian guts
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 01:28:29 PM »

Are you guys not reading the post or something?  That thing is a pump.  He just needs a waterblock ans some tubing.  If you go to www.frozencpu.com and look at the water cooling section, they have a number of adapters and waterblocks.

They just keep dancing

isisfreak

• Elite Modder
    • Kickass Mods
water fountian guts
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 02:09:26 PM »

Quote from: djpenguin
Are you guys not reading the post or something?  That thing is a pump.  He just needs a waterblock ans some tubing.  If you go to www.frozencpu.com and look at the water cooling section, they have a number of adapters and waterblocks.

Yes, I am reading the post. And its probably not enough pressure for a water cooling setup. He could try it with out the pump, but he would probably end up buying one.

Ørpheus

• Case Mod Weenie
water fountian guts
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 02:48:11 PM »

it is a pump for the freon, but it is not a pump for the water. the original design used pressure of the water comming out of the wall to move the water. (it was a water fountian)
now i'm running into a problem. although i can set it to run no cooler than 58 degrees, here 58 degrees is below the dewpoint. anybody know anything about pressure-controlled thermal relays? (the thing that turns it on and off is some kind of wierd pressure-based switch, and it only goes from 45* to 58*)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 48 queries.