GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 10:58:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AGP Aperture  (Read 1347 times)

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« on: July 04, 2003, 08:22:51 AM »

I had some guy ask me the other day what the AGP aperture setting in his BIOS does and for once I found myself stumped.  WTF does it do/should it be set at.  Iknow it sounds like a noob question but as ive had no need to interact with setting as of yet I have absolutely no idea what it does

SeriousAirSystems

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 09:48:52 AM »

Simply put, it sets the amount of physical system memory which your graphics card has at its disposal.
The newest graphics cards only use what they need and that should never be more than 64M!
64M will be fine unless you have ram coming out your ears that you don't know what to do with!

commodore_dude

• Senior Modder
AGP Aperture
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 09:52:18 AM »

If you want a good idea of how you should set it, run a few gaming benchmarks at the various aperture sizes and compare. I did this just to make sure 64 megs was the ideal size (and it was).

SeriousAirSystems

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 09:52:43 AM »

If you wanted the ZWAHEELY version, a quick look to your mobo mnufctrrrrrsss website should fill you in on the TECHNICAL REF'......!!

SeriousAirSystems

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 09:53:44 AM »

If you wanted the ZWAHEELY version, a quick look to your mobo mnufctrrrrrsss website should fill you in on the TECHNICAL REF'......!!

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 10:00:53 AM »

thanx for that but just to be sure about the correct setting if I have 1gb of DDR 400 and a radeon9800pro 256 mb, what should I set it at???

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
AGP Aperture
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 10:19:47 AM »

Taken from the ARSTechnica Bios Tweaking guide by Wayne "Hat Monster" Hardman

AGP Aperture
Options: Disable, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB
AGP allows cards to retrieve textures from system RAM (AGP Texturing). It's very slow and would result in slideshow rendering, but it can be done. Consider AGP Texturing as overflow video RAM; AGP Aperture controls how much system RAM it is allowed to use. The graphics card's faster onboard RAM is normally used for textures, so most users will not need to utilize AGP Texturing.  Set the AGP Aperture to 64MB or 128MB and don't expect any performance difference at all from tweaking it, unless you use absolutely massive textures. You'd know if you dealt with such large textures, and games don't. This setting will not alter your FPS or 3DMark score.

you can read the whole guide here:
http://www.arstechnica.com/guide/building/bios/bios-1.html

F.U.C.T.

AGP Aperture
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 10:27:28 AM »

From the  Tweaktown BIOS Tuning Guide - Asher Moses

"AGP Aperture Size (MB) - This is the amount of main memory that is allocated to the AGP device. Using this function the AGP card can process data from the main memory itself, instead of onboard memory. It is important to select the AGP Aperture Size wisely because too much will cause lack of memory for other operations and too little will give low graphic performance.
The AGP aperture size should be set to half, or a quarter of your system memory. So, if you have 256MB system memory you should set your AGP aperture size to either 128MB or 64MB."

Read the rest Here.

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
AGP Aperture
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 10:29:23 AM »

Well after reading that I have come to the decision I shall leave mine alone
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.