GideonTech.com Forums

• July 05, 2020, 07:42:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling Ideas  (Read 1845 times)

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« on: July 03, 2003, 04:36:42 PM »

I am going the route of water cooling for my new Athlon XP 3200 and I was wondering if The 80mm radiator that swiftech makes is too small.  Also, my case is fairly short on space so does anyone know of a water pump that will fit in the area where the extra HDD would usually go? :-?

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 04:42:28 PM »

What case do you have, and what do you have in it?  Most "I dont have enough space" issues are easily sorted out

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 05:37:02 PM »

I can't for the love of god remember exactly what my case is, I know its an ANTEC, i just don't know which one, As for stuff in it, My MoBo, Vid Card Ram, HDD, FDD, CDRW and NICas well as several case fans

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • pics.aran.ws
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 05:41:50 PM »

well, i dont know of any pump that fits in a 3.5" bay, but the swiftech kit does fit into a single 5.25" bay (one of the big ones) as most antec cases have more than one 5.25" bay and you have only one optical drive, i think you'd be okay.  as for the 80mm radiator, its okay... not great by any means.  if you're looking for quiet, then it will suffice.. if you're looking for performance start thinking about 120mm solutions

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 07:11:40 AM »

Thanx for that, I had a look at the swiftech pump and it will fit, as for the 120mm radiator, I'd rather avoid hacking large sections out of my case for something like this.
Would 2 swiftech 80mm radiators with a Fan on either side be better or would that kill my water flow too much???

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • pics.aran.ws
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 07:18:17 AM »

Two radiators will definately drop your flow rate a good bit, and the swiftech block is one that likes a lot of flow.  However, two radiators will mean that the water is cooler when it reaches the processor, increasing cooling.  Honestly, I don't know which is a better solution.  Its kind of a toss up.

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 07:45:12 AM »

I might see If I can find someone on the net who has done this with 2 radiators and see what the flow specs of their pump is, because I figure that 2 80mm radiators is like one big 160mm radiator and these will bolt directly to my fan grills

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • pics.aran.ws
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 07:59:41 AM »

unfortunately, its not that simple.  First of all, two 80mm radiators dont even come close to 1 160mm radiator in terms of area, or flow.  
80mm radiator surface area is 80x80 or 64 cm2 x2 = 128 cm2
160mm radiator surface area is 160x160 or 256 cm2
so in fact a a 160mm radiator is the same as four 80mms in terms of surface area.
If surface area was the only concern, then a 113mm radiator would have the same surface area as two 80mms.

It gets worse.  Surface area isn't what we're worried about here as much as flow.  In order to get the same amount of turns into a radiator of 80mm, you need smaller tubing and tighter turns than a 120mm radiator (as that is the next size up, slightly larger than 2x80s) you also need double the number of turns and twice as long in the tighter tubing since you have two radiators versus one.

The only thing I can suggest is to find someone who has tried a system with 1x80, 2x80 and 1x120 and has comparisons.  Thats not going to be easy, but you can give it a shot.

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 08:04:47 AM »

Thanx, maths never was my greates forte. I gues I'll have to have a look and try to find a comparison.  Even if it's not as efficeint, I reckon aesthetically 2 radiators would look pretty cool

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
Cooling Ideas
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 08:47:48 AM »

I found a guy running 2 swiftech radiators on a 300 gph pump just fine http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/hoi_polarflo_waterblock/index.shtml
AS far as I can see he doesn't seem to be having any problems so this looks like the way to go
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 3.74 seconds with 49 queries.