• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would You Buy A Diamond Heatsink If?

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 03, 2003, 11:38:52 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How About A DIAMOND Heat Sink???  (Read 4888 times)

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
How About A DIAMOND Heat Sink???
« on: July 03, 2003, 11:38:52 AM »

Of all the substances that are used to make heatsinks for computers the best one is diamond.  The order for materials in terms of thermal conductivity is as follows:
1)Diamond - 232% to 465% better than silver :D
2)Silver - 7% better than copper  :)
3)Copper - 25% better than gold  :)
4)Gold - 36% better than aluminium  :)
5)Aluminium - Relative to the others, CRAP  :(

As you can see it is significantly BETTER.
But I here you ask "Hell the F**K am I ever going to be able to find a diamond heatsink and If I do, how the hell am I going to pay for it??? :pissed:

Well due to advances in making synthetic diamonds, I believe it won't be as expensive as everyone thinks it will be when they become available, and the WILL become available.

I was doing some research on having a copper heatsink coated in CVD Diamond (a form of vapour coating something with synthetic diamond) and found a company that does this so I sent them an E-Mail asking if it could be done to my heatsink and this is the response I got back:

"We've put diamond films on copper, but the expansion coefficients of the two materials are so different that the composite warps very badly when it cools off after the deposition process.  We're setting up to make solid diamond heat spreaders for microprocessors, which looks like a much better way to go than trying to do a deposited diamond on copper assembly."
[/b]
 :thumbsup:

The company website I found is http://www.p1diamond.com/app.html

jestersmod

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 11:43:51 AM »

if anyone did it they would have to keep there computer in a safe

but it would be cool to have that kinda money

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 11:51:04 AM »

Unless you could get the price down to $100 or less retail, I dont see it selling.  Reason?  well, even if the heat dissipation is perfect (which it isnt), you can only get the temperature down to ambient, so maybe 20C lowest.. for 500 you can get a phase change or WCed pelt system and run your system well into negative numbers.

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 12:11:46 PM »

You could use these other techniques but in the case of peltiers, you still need to cool the peltier's hot part off and also think of the possibilities of this combined with say water cooling :D.  The company themseleves aren't talking about making a solid diamond heat sink (the poll was just for personal interest)  but a solid diamond heat spreader (read - footplate) to transfer the heat into the heatsink and to spread it out more evenly on larger heatsinks :thumbsup:

stew

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 12:41:07 PM »

I can see diamond being used as a heatspreader or maybe a waterblock, but not as a heatsink - the fins would be pretty brittle, especially if they are nice and thin.  Maybe a diamond-core heatsink would work, but like BalefireX said, you'd be better off getting a phase change or pelt system for less $$ and lower temps.
Of course it would be cool to be able to see your proc through the hs, but the thermal compound would probably get in the way (unless somebody figures out how to make that transparent)

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 12:52:09 PM »

I agree with it not being vable as a whole heatsink, but as I said with the price of manufacturing coming down BIG TIME due to new and cheaper methods, I reckon that this would put it in the price range of the heatsinks with gold or silver footplates and a great option for those who want excellent cooling but not the amount of crap that has to be gone through to use a peltier.

BTW, WTF is a phase change system???

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 01:10:58 PM »

Phase change uses the same principles as a refrigerator to cool your CPU to temperatures well below ambient.   It consists of a compressor, a condenser, a capillary tube, and a cooling element.

read about ones for computers here:
www.chip-con.com
www.asetek.com

xilles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.msnusers.com/CompBoxes/
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 01:23:50 PM »

i didnt know diamonds got hot and transfered heat that well i think ill try it with my ring

更mē鐙ę

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 01:40:09 PM »

OHHH I get it now phase change is basically refigerant cooling :)
And diamond does transfer heat that well, I only discovered it when searching for the best stuff to make heatsinks out of and found it is so good it used as a heat spreader in high energy lasers!!!! :wtf:
Go Figure

pika32k

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 01:47:02 PM »

u knoe them direct die waterblocks??? put a diamond on the center :D  that would do good
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.