GideonTech.com Forums

• October 26, 2020, 04:35:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sharing 2nd monitor  (Read 607 times)

eurowombat

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~sbattle
sharing 2nd monitor
« on: June 27, 2003, 02:04:45 PM »

So I have a spare monitor, but sometimes I want it to be the 2nd monitor on my desktop, but most of the time I want it to be the 2nd monitor on my laptop.   can a KVM switch do this?  would it be worth it to just buy some connectors/find some old monitor cable and try and build my own switching gizmo.  

I don't need to share the keyboard / mouse part.  Ideally, I'd use my laptop keyboard and mouse to control both PC's, but I don't think a KVM can do that.

komp_killa

• Senior Modder
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 02:08:03 PM »

i saw a switch that swited monitor, keyboard, and mouse...i'll look for the link for you...but i was thinking of getting it thats why i know about it

eurowombat

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~sbattle
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 02:12:09 PM »

Upon further thinking, there shouldn't be any reason that a KVM switch couldn't do this.  The standard ones have 2 VGA inputs and a VGA output.  Just wanna make sure I don't waste my $30 bucks or however much these things go for these days.

komp_killa

• Senior Modder
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 02:24:20 PM »

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 10:22:08 PM »

komp_killa, all KVMs switch monitor, keyboard, and mouse.. thats what the KVM stands for, keyboard, video and mouse.
I've done this before with my old 5.6 in LCD. I had it set to always be on my freebsd rig, then my 17in monitor was KVMed between it and my win2k rig, which also outputted to my TV if I wanted.. (explict movies). I used a KVM (2 port) on my 17in monitor, which went to my vga plug on the win2k rig, and to my 'TVator' which basically allows you to input VGA, and output another VGA + svideo + RCA. That RCA plug went to my little LCD. The TV out on my win2k rig went to the TV.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

commodore_dude

• Senior Modder
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 10:27:16 PM »

If you're just looking to switch the video (never heard of using a laptop's input devices to control another computer), just get a VGA switch, they should be a bit cheaper than a full KVM switch. Of course, buying a KVM switch now allows you expandability in the future that you wouldn't get from the VGA switch. Just comes down to how you want to spend your money. Also, you want to get a high quality switch and some very nice cables... I have had bad experiences with cheap KVM kits having horrible ghosting at even 800x600...

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
sharing 2nd monitor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 10:38:11 PM »

I was in the same situation.  In college I will bring my desktop and my laptop, along with my Logitec Cordless Elite and my Sony 18inch LCD.  I want to share my keyboard/mouse/monitor... a KVM switch is the answer.  I was looking into a few different ones and they were around $50-150 just for the switch.  Then another $20 or so for the cables.  Wayyy tooo expensive.  I then came across this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10329380&loc=101

It's only in the $30 range.  I bought one for my friend for his b-day.  He loved it so much, it made me want to get one, so I did.  Now, I'm just waiting for my laptop to come in... 1 more week :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.