GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 07:07:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Watercooling?  (Read 833 times)

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Watercooling?
« on: June 02, 2003, 08:14:33 AM »

if im lucky i can get something for a good report report card and right now im thinking about watercooling. would i be able to get a decetn watercoling setup for $100?

MaverikV

• Elite Modder
    • http://maverikv.gnomelan.com
[?] Watercooling?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 08:19:10 AM »

no,  i highly suggest you take that money and save it, add to it, and then buy water cooling if that is your goal.  good water cooling is expensive, and even decent water cooling is too.  Crap water cooling isn't worth it you'll get higher temps than on a good air cooler.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Watercooling?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 08:20:40 AM »

damn

MaverikV

• Elite Modder
    • http://maverikv.gnomelan.com
[?] Watercooling?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 08:22:33 AM »

suggestion:  if you don't want to wait for good cooling, take the hundred bucks and buy a SLK800, nexus multi function panel, and vantec tornado and make yourself a kickass, quietable processor cooler

timid1

• Elite Modder
Re: [?] Watercooling?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 03:26:23 PM »

Quote from: keristillax
if im lucky i can get something for a good report report card and right now im thinking about watercooling. would i be able to get a decetn watercoling setup for $100?

Watercooling setup for $100.  That's funny.  I have a hard time believing that you have a rig that warrants the purchase of a watercooling setup. You don't need a watercooling rig and chances are, you don't need "better cooling" as one of the other members suggested.  What kind of computer do you have?  Please post specs here.

No one answered your question, though.  There are NO watercooling rigs for that cheap.  I bought the Koolance EXOS, which retails for $300 at your local CompUSA (it can be found for around $200 online) and the CPU-200 waterblock.  All in all, it cost me around $250 to get started with my watercooling solution (I bought it at cost).

FYI, here's specs of what I have in my system:

* Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Black Motherboard
* AMD XP 2100+ Processor
* 16X DVD-ROM Drive
* 48X CD-RW Drive
* 2 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache WD Hard Drives, Raided (Mode 0)
* 1 60 GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache WD Hard Drive
* CF634 Serial LCD
* 6-in-1 Media Reader (Internal)
* Gef4 Ti4200 AGP Graphics Card
* ATI TV Wonder Tuner Card
* SIIG USB 2.0 / IEEE-1394 PCI Card
* Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI Card
* SB Audigy MP3+ Sound Card

I honestly didn't need the watercooling rig either, and I actually came from a TT Volcano 9 ... which is a loud mofo... so other than sound considerations.... I really had no reason to upgrade.  In fact, watercooling = expensive!

There are a number of things you have to consider... but it's mainly space considerations.  I have a Lian-Li custom mid-sized case.  In short, there's almost no room for the things that are necessary in a watercooling rig, so I decided to go external.

Blackeagle

• GT Fanatic
[?] Watercooling?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 09:14:36 PM »

Well, I'd say it's not funny, but also not quite possible for $100.00.

BUT:

Chevette heater core $25.00 at the local Napa

Hydor L20 185 gph water pump $35.00 (D-tek)

TC-4 CPU waterblock (D-Tek) $50.00

120mm fan about $13.50 (D-Tek)

6' of ClearFlex 1/2" line $9.00

1/4" plexiglass @ Lowes $5.00 (for shroud)

Shipping $10.00

So for $137.50, and a bit of DIY (shroud), you'll have a watercooling rig that can outperform over priced kits (EXOS) with ease.  

You may have to mow a few lawns or some such, but a water rig is within your grasp.  And I'd not be surprised that your Dad might enjoy helping you assemble it.  He should be proud you took the time to find a way to get best value for his and your money.  

I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.