GideonTech.com Forums

• November 22, 2019, 10:35:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [color=blue][b]Noise from the case[/b][/color]  (Read 1112 times)

Rolf

• Case Mod Weenie
[color=blue][b]Noise from the case[/b][/color]
« on: May 24, 2003, 10:15:12 PM »

I have never seen a gamers mod pc.....Are the fans very noisy and will it interfere with what your doing on the monitor. I'm planning on building a gamers pc with a full tower. Is the noise something to think about when l build the system. If the noise is high what could l do to keep the sound down. :)

pHEnomIC69

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 10:19:35 PM »

Yes, fans can be loud, mine are, but i got used to them.  You can either buy a rheobus or make one and that can slow down the fans and you can make an exchange for less airflow for games. If you run your fans at 7 volts instead of the normal 12, they get significantly quieter and you may not notice them.  You dont need as much airflow when the cpu load is low.  And when you play games, you can turn the fans on full blast and because of the noise from the game, you won't even notice them.

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 10:22:25 PM »

Noise is only a problem if you dont like the noise of fans. I think you are thinking about interference and no, the fans you would use in your case would not cause that.

It all comes down to how much cooling you want.  You can get some pretty good fans that arent loud, but they wont perform as well as a vantec tornado.

If noise is an issue for you and you want major cooling, consider watercooling
My sig goes here

Mick

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 10:24:18 PM »

1  (Z < X + dbs (comfort limit) < Y) goto 2

2  If X have loud fans and/or a lot of them then=Y (loud) goto 3

3  If X have quiet fans and/or a few of them then=Z (quiet) goto 4

4  If X have no fan go to 5 if (X + $ > 0) goto 5

5  Go to 0x30 resource refresh for Z goto 1

Usually 20-35 db for fans are considered quiet while over that they are regular to normal. Quieter fans push less air though. Fans with ball bearings are prefered over sleeved even though sleeved are quieter (only a few dbs). Ball Bearings last ~ 3x as long.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 10:26:01 PM »

Just a tip.  BBcode does not work inside of topic titles, so putting it in just makes you look like you dont know what your doing.  Even if it did it work, it wouldn't make you post stand out.  Not only are the topic titles already bolded (imagine that), but blue would have made the topic all but dissapear in the black color scheme that half of the people use.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 11:13:25 PM »

Rolf: If you want a quiet PC get quiet fans under 30dba.
You can get big fans like 120mm or 92mm that will push more or less the same amount of air as a noisy 80mm fan.
You can make a rheobus or a baybus to control you fans.
Let's say you want to sleep and your pc will be idle, why having all fans at max speed making a lot of noise? Turn them off or turn them to a lower voltage.
Now you want to play some games, just power them up or get their voltages up.

PC Noise/Performance, that depends on you, some preffer better performance having a louder pc, some preffer a quiter pc with normal performance.

If your aim is to have a quiet pc I recommend that you go here.
http://www.silentpcreview.com

Morphiu§

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.GnomeLAN.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 12:07:36 AM »

A few things you can do to reduce case noise.

1) Use big fans.  A 120mm fan can move the same air as smaller fans at a much lower RPM, and thus with less noise.  It also generates a lower pitch noise which is less annoying.

2) Put foam rubber washers between your fans and whatever you're mounting them to.  This reduces the vibration that is passed from the fan to the case, thus causing the case to resonate.  Most of the noise from your case fans actually comes from the resonating metal of the case, not the fan blades.

3) Get a sturdy case.  Flimsy case metal resonates much better than sturdy case metal, and also rattles more.  Thus a sturdier case is quieter.

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 07:24:53 AM »

Things to keep in mind:
1.  It's not just the fans that make the noise.  In my computer, I had a Western Digital 7200 hard drive.  WD make some loud ass hard drives.  Get a Seagate.  If you're concerned about noise, they're well worth the extra $$.
2.  Power supply makes noise too.
3.  Use a fan controlling device, such as a baybus, rheobus, or DigiDoc.  I would perfer the DigiDoc since you can "set it, and forget it."  It will automatically turn your fans on and off depending on the temperature.
4.  There's always water-cooling.
5.  Like what Skylined said, go to http://www.silentpcreview.com.  They have loads of reviews on computer hardware to help you pick out quiet PC hardware.
6.  Don't get a cheap, quiet fan for your CPU Heatsink.  You need a good fan on that has the ability to push at least 40-45CFM

Quote from: Rolf
I have never seen a gamers mod pc.....

whaa?  :wtf:  You do know you're at GideonTech.com, right?

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 4Ų3
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 09:49:13 AM »

if you're after noise, you'll never beat me!!!  it's something i shouldnt be proud of but i can keep my entire house awake at night just by leaving it on...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.