GideonTech.com Forums

• August 24, 2019, 07:55:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ghetto PSU" Idea  (Read 2369 times)

shizno

• Senior Modder
"Ghetto PSU" Idea
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 09:41:35 PM »

your stupid.. there..lets fight.. i love how these calm minded computer geeks can be so peaceful....i mean...f*** come on...he started it by saying i was wrong right?

Neema12

"Ghetto PSU" Idea
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 09:43:19 PM »

calm down man, it was a joke...  :( , ill never be accecpted in socity :(  :(  :x

binkys

• GT Fanatic
"Ghetto PSU" Idea
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 09:50:26 PM »

/me wonders if he made the lights in the house flicker when the power supplies went out.

I did that once.  hooked up some wires wrong and the lights dimmed.  then went to fix it(shutting it off but forgetting to unplug it)  ah,  that warm tingly feeling all through my body.

hm...  this is sorta offtopic i guess,  but compared to the last few posts,  at least its close  :P

ogreb

• GT Fanatic
"Ghetto PSU" Idea
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 09:51:25 PM »

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with adding a second power supply to your case, except maybe that if you dont carefully place the psu you will be adding extra heat to your case- make sure if this is going to be a long term solution that the psu exaust exausts out of your case.  Also, make sure it doesnt get in the way of anything in the case or touch anything- this could end up being very bad.

However, the whole thing really asks the question- do you really need another psu?  Generally speaking, the connectors provided are at least in some proportion to the number of devices it is expected to reliably support.  However, throwing simple things like fans and blinking lights into the equation can jankify things a bit.  If you have a really big fan (a 12 volt fan running at 2 amps will use 24 watts of power) they have to be considered.  If you're running a fairly new/fast cpu and a pretty recent GPU, have a couple hard drives and cd-rom/dvd-rom/zip/etc drives installed, and also have a couple big case fans installed (i would call anything above about 500 ma to be pretty big), your system is definately power hungry.  Adding extra power is probably a good idea, especially if you're not already running at least a 400 watt supply.  I run an athlon 1800+ with a geforce 4 ti 4200 with two hard drives and a cd-rw drive, with three case fans and a volcano 9 all on a 350 watt psu with no problem.  Hell, i used to run the same system with one less hdd and one less fan on a 235 watt psu!

Hope that was helpful...unfortunately, too many of the people around here are too concerned about either increasing their post count or just being an ass that actual questions tend to get lost...

It was nice to see one person who actually grasped the whole concept of proper english grammer however!  (DSLaBuda im talking about you! harharhar)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.