GideonTech.com Forums

• February 17, 2020, 08:45:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexan sheet is wonderful for windows.....  (Read 1008 times)

Cascade Overload

• Senior Modder
Lexan sheet is wonderful for windows.....
« on: May 18, 2003, 03:02:30 AM »

Well thanks to the help of my gf's father I now have all my windows replaced with lexan. Let me begin at the start of the day, the short version. I'm vacuuming the living room, clipped the side of my case, broke my smoked plexi window. So if anyone else has done this here you know that this really sucks. I didn't have any extra here, so I knew that I would have to go looking at the hardware store for it. Not my idea of having a good idea afternoon. Anywho, to make this short, my gf called her father, who works for GM Defense, building LAV's, and told him what happened while she was trying not to laugh at me. He asked what size the window was and told her that I should head over there. I went to his workshop and low and behold, he has a 4'x4' sheet of 2mm thick lexan for me. I mean how sweet is that, I know have semi-bullet proof windows in my case......tell me what you think guys, has anyone else ever used lexan for windows or their whole comp case??

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 04:01:49 AM »

I have a Lexan window.  I bought a scrap pice ay Home Depot for about 4 bux.  Got enough of it left for another window to.  Great stuff.

One thing that was really cool was that right night to the storage area for the lexan and plexi was a Lexan display.  Basicly it was a sheet of lexan with a hand sledge hammer on a pivot.  No matter how hard you beat the sh*t outta the lexan sheet, it would even crack.  All that happened is it got scatched like crazy which is to be expected.
Nobody likes you. -Scott

robomatic12

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 12:29:49 PM »

Nice! I want a bullet proof window :( I also have laxan for my window.  Its great stuff!

Geet Lord

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 02:22:14 PM »

lexan is great stuff. it costs a bit more but we used it at our school to protect our robot's electronics. We had a 130 lb  robot fall on it without cracking the lexan. really tough stuff. we also found that its easier to cut with a saw than standard acrylic plexi

Cascade Overload

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 05:55:50 PM »

LOL.....this stuff that I'm getting is used in LAV's, so it's up to defence specs....at least that's what he told me.......pretty nice of my gf's dad to get his hands on it for me.... the only reason that I'm getting it was because he was helping me put the window in the top of my case and cracked my plexi as he was cutting it...so he asked me for the dimensions of the windows that I have, plus any holes that I wanted cut and drilled....told me he could do it up for me....mighty damn nice of him. So he's going to give me the sheet already cut and drilled ready to install, plus extra for me to use for my other projects....good deal I'd say.....

kramrazek

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 08:23:41 PM »

lexan is great stuff, used it for a front window/fan mod on my case. Also cut a hole in back and replaced the metal next to the I/O ports from mobo with a piece of lexan and mounted my two exhaust fans to it. I love it. I'm planning to use it for a top window and a hd mod too.

I've heard some stories about Abrahams tanks that said lexan is used on some of the "hub caps" on the "wheels" that the track is on so you can check lube levels for the wheels, they've never had one of the caps so much as crack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 34 queries.