GideonTech.com Forums

• August 18, 2022, 03:20:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide: Lit HDD Window  (Read 8560 times)

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
Guide: Lit HDD Window
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2003, 09:42:46 PM »

In this picture it shows you where the wires go.  The female molex on the hard drive is connected to the PCB of the hard drive with 4 big joints, so i just soldered the wires onto them.  It's sort of hard to explain with words, but im sure you can figure it out from the picture.

Karmastuntra69

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 12:11:28 AM »

You solder the wires to the first pin on the left and the second pin form the right?  Does the work on cd roms as well?

Stuman

• Senior Modder
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 12:21:16 PM »

Quote from: Karmastuntra69
You solder the wires to the first pin on the left and the second pin form the right?  Does the work on cd roms as well?

I don't see why not. Each device gets it's power from either the yellow 12 volt wire and/or the red 5v wire. The two black wires are, of course the grounding wires.

demon-overlord

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 04:45:22 PM »

Quote from: Rcdude7378
Thats pretty cool. I wonder when they will come like that from the factory?

haha! Right as I was reading the guide I thought "Hmmm....maybe maxtor or someone will start making them like that at the factory...."

:D

Ronin

• Elite Modder
  • GURNING ALL WAY HOME.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 02:36:26 AM »

HEHE Very Good.
Im Still waiting to do that to my Xbox HDD as soon as I can find the correct LEDS and Plexi I will be at it.
Pics and All.
Iv3 b33n H4x0r5.

MY MEGAHURTZ HAEV BEEN STOELED!!!!!111

eyesofcrimson

• Senior Modder
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2003, 12:18:35 AM »

this has gotten mer to thinking about putting a cd-rom window in my Yamaha burner since it already has that nifty bright blue LED in it. My only real question about this mod is has anyone tested it on a newer hard drive and seen adverse affects? I'd like to do this with my spare 30gig hdd but I'm not to keen on destroying a perfectly good drive.

deejayry

• Senior Modder
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/ryanparle
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 05:04:40 AM »

i dont think it will make any difference wheather its a new drive or not, theres still just as big of a chance in killing it. i think the key to succsess is making sure that the platters stay spotless.

one guide i saw suggested doing the assembly and disasembly in the shower room. they said to rin the shower for like ten mins on full heat, filling th room with steam, then open the window to let the steam clear, then when its clear the room should be pretty much dust free. then take your hdd drive into the shower room pull it apart, and place it in a plasic tray just a bit bigger than the drive its self, and then put the tray and disk in a large ziplock bag, making sure that the bag (or anything else) doesnt touch the platters.

this way you are minimising the risk of anything coming int contact with the disk platters as much as possible

aparantly you should take the wrapped disk out of the shower room, and repeat the steaming proscess before you put the disk back together.

Ronin

• Elite Modder
  • GURNING ALL WAY HOME.
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2003, 05:07:10 AM »

common sence i think will be you best buddy when you do something like this....
Iv3 b33n H4x0r5.

MY MEGAHURTZ HAEV BEEN STOELED!!!!!111

Harm

• GT Fanatic
Zap
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2003, 11:22:32 AM »

I would think some anti static protection might serve you well here.  The shower idea might cut down on the static electricity in the air as well as reducing particulates.  I wouldn't get my drive anywhere near the dust from cutting though.  Whatever works though right?  Sweet mod.

kramrazek

• Senior Modder
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2003, 10:52:14 PM »

I pretty much used this guide as well as voided warranty for my mod. Ran the shower for 10 min before beginning work. Used warm water though.... minimize excess steam and keep the room sealed. I kept the hdd in a ziplock bag overnight while i did the cutting on the cover in my basement. Mod worked like a charm... now all I need is to add some lighting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 61 queries.