GideonTech.com Forums

• April 01, 2020, 01:29:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resistors Information  (Read 2691 times)

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Resistors Information
« on: April 25, 2003, 10:36:10 PM »

You can know a resistors resistance by just taking a look at the lines it has.

1st. & 2nd. lines indicate its Value.

3rd. line indicates the Multiplier, so you multiply the resistor's Value by Multiplier and you'll know resistor's resistance.

4th. line indicates Tolerance, resistor's resistance isn't exact, it can be the same, more or less depending on it's Tolerance. So don't think somebody sold a bad resistor if you bought a 470ohm with +/-5% tolerance and you find it's 490ohm, this resistor is between its tolerance (493,5ohm & 446,5ohm)

You have a table at bottom that shows you Values, Multipliers and Tolerances

Example:
Green - Blue - Red - Gold
5 - 6 - x100 - +/- 5%
So this resistor would be 5.600ohm with +/- 5% tolerance (5.880ohm - 5.320ohm)

Some times it's hard to know resistor's resistance by its colour, so I'll give you some tips to make it easier.
1) 1st. line cannot be Silver nor Gold
2) 2nd. take a look at the Normalized Values and check if what you see can be posible.

If you have an ohm-meter and you wish to know resistor's resistance don't hold both extremes of the resistor with your hands, you'll change it's resistance. You can just hold one of the extremes and just put the tester lead on the other extreme without touching it.

Normalized Values, you will only be able to find these Normalized Values X Multiplier. For example you won't be able to find a 450ohm resistor, you'll have to use a 470ohm resistor (47 X 10).

Resistors With 5 Lines, in that case the first 3 lines are Value, the 4th line is Multiplier and the 5th line is Tolerance

Get this useful Resistor Calculator made by X24
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/x24/prog_LEDcalc.htm

Normalized Values    

1 = 1 = Ohm
1.000 = 1K = Kilo Ohm
1.000.000 = 1M = Mega Ohm

Squeak

• Senior Modder
Resistors Information
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 10:46:39 PM »

you can also have five bars the first three are the resistance the 4 the multiplyer and the fifth the tolerance

also
the end that has one line further apart from the others is normally the tolerance
hope it helps

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Resistors Information
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 01:34:21 PM »

It would be helpful to note that when Skylined says "5.600" ohms, it means "5,600" ohms or "5.6 K", since they use a period instead of a comma in Uruguay.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

PMV

• Elite Modder
Resistors Information
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 01:53:40 PM »

another bit I learned from engineering 101 based on denotation (at least its like this in Canada):

sometimes resistance will be written as 330 (omega symbol), or 330R.

For decimal points the R would be in its place. Example 4.7ohm would also be labelled 4R7.

4,700 ohms could be labelled 4.7k(omega symbol), or 4K7.

This might clear up a few tiny details based on company labelling. I hope I was able to type clearly, I only had a few hrs sleep last nite and I just finished waiting 3 hrs for next class at school. grr

Ill post about ohms law when I get home and some sleep under my belt, if its coo with Skylined
"I nine an eleven-eloin with my five'k"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.