GideonTech.com Forums

July 30, 2014, 04:03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum members, click here to add yourself to the Gideontech Map!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray paint dust  (Read 1978 times)
(NW)Lynx
GT Fanatic

« on: April 22, 2003, 06:31:07 PM »

Began to start spraying my PC chassis about a week ago.  I made this ghetto paint booth out of sheets of mylar in my Father-in-law's outside workshop overhang shelter.  Its about 12 x 12 and its all enclosed except for a gap around the top for some air flow.  The only problem is the friggin paint dust.  It gets everywhere.

First I started by spraying a few coats of primer.  I noticed after the first coat that the spray is leaving a layer of dust when it dries. Pissed   I am assuming the "spray" is drying in the air and then falling back down to the case.  So anyways I used a tack cloth after each coat dried to clean off the dust.  Still couldn't get it out of the corners.

Moving on...I used enamel for the paint and it sprayed on fine.  No dust.  Maybe enamel is a "heavier" or thicker paint.  I also hung the PC frame upside down so if I did have any dust it would be on the flat underside, not down in the corners.

Finally after spraying the clear today....Dust! Everywhere! Mad
I only noticed it when I took some pictures.  Pics came out all sparkle like on some of the flat areas.  Just cleaned most of it off with a tack cloth.  Some of it still stuck in the corners.

Should I just go back to spraying outside?  I hope not since I live in Florida and the dang mosqitoes dive bomb my head and my freshly painted case.

Any suggestions for improvment would be appreciated.
nemattoad
Elite Modder

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 06:34:19 PM »

get some wire mesh or somethin like that or a tight net and mount it over the area you are working to stop mosquitos, and then spray paint outside Big Grin

My sig goes here
Stuman
Senior Modder

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:43:48 PM »

Quote from: nemattoad
get some wire mesh or somethin like that or a tight net and mount it over the area you are working to stop mosquitos, and then spray paint outside Big Grin

That's a pretty good idea! Big Grin Try it man.
Geet Lord
Senior Modder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 07:43:54 PM »

spray it outside and head inside quickly. I live in Gainesville too and got eaten alive cutting a window in my case last night.
the dust was probably caused by the humidity here. try to spray when there is really low humidity that helps significantly. also bring the painted parts inside as soon as possible. That reduces the time the wet paint is exposed to the humidity

Anubis
GT Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 02:06:39 AM »

Your problem has nothing to do with dust. The paint is not adhering to the case because there is nothing for it to adhere to (your case is too smooth). You need to lightly sand your case and then use an air compressor or a clean cloth with some tack cloth and get all the "dust" from sanding off of the case before painting.

Hope this helps,

-Anubis
oops
Case Mod Weenie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 12:50:28 PM »

1 word ventalation
TokMor
Senior Modder

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 12:57:28 PM »

1 word: stop reviveing 3 month old  posts
oops
Case Mod Weenie

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 01:22:23 PM »

sorry  but it seems to me that it would be helpfull to newbies like myself
KG4QXN
Senior Modder

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 04:34:50 PM »

get a cheap  12 inch fan and put in the top of that building to vent bugs, dust and overspray outta your eyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: